IAT temps pre

Blackwell808

Established Member
My fellow AZ/Desert terminator owners, what kind of IAT temps are you seeing in 105+ ambient temps? I was averaging anywhere from like 120-135 driving in stop and go lights. I parked for a minute with it idling while I ran inside the house and the highest I saw was 150. I noticed a very small amount of coolant from my intercooler tank seeping from the Allen head bolts that are on it. I just purchased the car so I’m unsure if this is normal in these temps. I will test the pump to be sure it’s working. Wondering if the heat and the tank being super full maybe just pushed a tiny amount out? Also I had the ac on full blast because Phoenix has had a brutal summer and I’m sick of sweating my ass off.

MG0h3

Established Member
Man 120-135 in Phoenix heat isn’t bad at all.

You may need a new gasket or try tightening the bolts.

The IC system is not like the cooling system. It shouldn’t be pressurized or pushing coolant unless it’s getting overly hot (usually a pump not working) or if the O rings at the IC itself are bad. You’ll usually see a mist or smell it under or right after being under boost.

I could see it creeping to 150 just sitting around.

Props to you. I don’t even bother driving mine when it’s much over 80*.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blackwell808

Established Member

The IC system is not like the cooling system. It shouldn’t be pressurized or pushing coolant unless it’s getting overly hot (usually a pump not working) or if the O rings at the IC itself are bad. You’ll usually see a mist or smell it under or right after being under boost.

I tried to snug those bolts up but they don’t tighten down? I guess they are fake and more for looks? Lol I didn’t have a choice I had to drive it back from Walmart because I just bought it and reliable carriers dropped it off this morning for me! Lol

MG0h3

Established Member
Take the cap off and there is a nut on the back side.

Don’t go to crazy or you’ll pinch the gasket.

I ordered a new gasket and cap a ways back. Lethal or something.

Blackwell808

Established Member
Take the cap off and there is a nut on the back side.

Don’t go to crazy or you’ll pinch the gasket.

I ordered a new gasket and cap a ways back. Lethal or something.

I’ll give that a shot thanks man!

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

He's reading off iat temps on a aeroforce gauge. The "iat temp" on that gauge is the air coming in. He needs to monitor "charge temp" on that gauge. That's what tells the ECU to pull timing if it gets too hot.

+1, I rarely drive my car if it's above 80*.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
He's reading off iat temps on a aeroforce gauge. The "iat temp" on that gauge is the air coming in. He needs to monitor "charge temp" on that gauge. That's what tells the ECU to pull timing if it gets too hot.

+1, I rarely drive my car if it's above 80*.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
This. Charge temp will be a lot higher. I drove mine out to Havasu about 6 weeks ago. Ambient temps were in the 110-120 range. I never saw under 140 charge temp the entire time.

MG0h3

Established Member
Oh I missed that. Didn’t think anyone monitored charge temp.

Op you need IAT2 on the Aero

MG0h3

Established Member
My gauge does show charge temps l. The pump magically came on today so I’m guessing it’s just on it’s way on going out

Charge is what you want to watch.

Not sure what IAT1 is called on there.

You have two intake air temp sensors. One in the plastic intake tube and one under the blower. The one under the blower is what you want to monitor.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I was going to say....if the OP was indeed seeing IAT1 at 150 that is cooking! I live in a pretty severe heat climate and will on occasion see IAT1 in the 130s and I thought that was crazy lol.

As far as IAT2 (downstream).....150 is not unusual at all after stop n go and/or a blast or 2. But it will quickly go back to the low 130s after some cruising air flow is introduced.

Now I did one time have the IC pump go out as I was simply cruising in high heat (110+ heat index) and my eyes almost popped out of my head when I looked at my datalogger and 168 showed on IAT2. Had not even made a blast......I limped back home without issue. Got the car in the garage, tested the IC pump with a jumper wire and it circulated again. Ran up to autozone got a new relay and it worked fine once again. That was about 18 months ago.

So, bottom line.....150 IAT2 is not that unusual and the pump might be working fine. If your IC pump is really out.....I'd say you'd see near 170 IAT2 REAL fast in Arizona and a big ol KB on top.

Users who are viewing this thread