IC Pump running but no circulation

pmac231

Established Member
I just replaced the pump with a new one. I topped up the resevoir. I then took the top line off the resevoir, vacuumed until coolant came out of the top line. I then reconnected the top line, topped up the resevoir again and jumped the relay. The pump is running but still no citculation. I figured sucking on the top line would remove any air in the system. Any ideas on what else I could try would be appreciated.

Thanks

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Yea you need to prime the pump by pressurizing the system. I did this on a buddies car with a plunger. Haha

2001blkR

Established Member
I always blow in the top hose without the pump running, then turn the pump on and wahlah, always worked for me.

pmac231

Established Member
Some times I will kink the hose so it builds a little pressure , kinda jump starts the flow.

Which hose do you kink ... cap off or on?

I always blow in the top hose without the pump running, then turn the pump on and wahlah, always worked for me.

I blew in the top hose until bubbles came up where lower hose connects (resevoir is just about full at this point). I reconnected the upper hose, jumped the relay and still no movement. I have the cap off at this time too.

Thanks for the replies.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Yea you need to prime the pump by pressurizing the system. I did this on a buddies car with a plunger. Haha

this.

241fe0eb.jpg

pmac231

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try.

Did you have the pump on while you primed it or did you turn it on after?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I have used an air tank to blow air through the top hose going to the intercooler reservoir (remove from the manifold under the blower) until fluid comes out the intercooler manifold. Jump the pump and good to go.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I have used an air tank to blow air through the top hose going to the intercooler reservoir (remove from the manifold under the blower) until fluid comes out the intercooler manifold. Jump the pump and good to go.

Pretty similar to what I had to do. I took compressed air and a rag to half ass seal it, and pressurized the reservoir.

SpectorV

Established Member
mine did the same thing, i installed a new heat exchanger and I still had the bumper off so I just turned it sideways and such and got the air out of the system and it started working.

pmac231

Established Member
Thanks again for the suggestions.

I think I may have it. I emptied the resevoir and then took the top hose off (return) and started filling coolant into this line. Once the coolant started coming into the resevoir via the feed line, I jumped the relay. I could hear fluid passing through the pump then. Soon after fluid started coming back through the top line so I hooked it back up and topped up the resevoir. Keeping my fingers crossed all is well now.

Users who are viewing this thread