Ice in the Intercooler reservoir?

jguerrero

Established Member
Was planning on going to the track for the first time this Friday, I was wondering if it is ok to put some ice in the intercooler reservoir to help cool the car down between and after runs?

Any other ideas on how to keep the car as cool as possible. For some reason its real hot and humid out here this week, and the car is running like crap. (feel sorry for you Florida people).

Should be an interesting experience, I am going to run on my 18's.

:eek:

Lightning Tim

Established Member
I dunno if you can get enough ice in there to make a difference before it melts. Plus It might clog any of the hoses and block the flow of coolant. Worth a shot though.

jguerrero

Established Member
Thats what I was thinking. It is quite small. Thining about going with one of those Vortec Ice box things. Except they are way too expensive.

jguerrero

Established Member
The cooler sits where the battery is, so you will have to move it else where ie the trunk, but then to pass tech at the drag strip you would need a kill switch on the outside of the car. If you dont plan on drag racing it would not matter, and you would not need a switch.

Part # 8N105-110 Mustang Cobra Water Tank Upgrade Suggested Retail Price: $199.95
Part # 8N150-010 Universal Battery Relocation Assembly Suggested Retail Price: $237.95

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com...n=PROD&Store_Code=VEOS&Product_Code=8N105-110

The battery relocation kit is a bit pricey if you ask me. You could probally fabricate one for yourself if you have the right resources.
Or I searched, and found that one person found a way to fit both in the engine bay by removing the windshield resivoir and placing the battery in that location. Again, I dont know if that would pass tech, but maybe you could wire a kill switch somewhere accesible.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Wouldn't put ice IN the intercooler reservoir. The pump might not be too happy when it goes through! Also, wouldn't put any kind of water in system that wasn't distilled or ion free.

Cooling the intercooler fluid is a great idea. Lots of ideas have been posted, ranging from Vortech system to spraying CO2, alcohol, or nitrous on heat exchanger.

memphisstang

Established Member
What about simply using a larger intercooler reservoir like the one that comes on the Saleens? With more coolant available to disperse the heat, wouldn't the temps be lower? I called Saleen and the reservoir is only $50.00. And it looks stock; unlike the clear/white one on the 03. But they couldn't tell me the coolant capacity of their unit or the stock Cobra unit. Does anyone here know that info?

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
that battery relocation is overpriced, you can get a taylor one for 140 through summit, if you have a kill switch on the battery box, you dont need to mount it on the outside of the car I thought to be legal? also I wouldnt want the battery up front as moving it to the rear helps traction, weight transfer

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
I looked at the Vortec set up and was ready to go, but the realized the same thing about the battery relocation kit. If you go over to modularfords.com and do a search I had posted a similar question. Some guys threw in some good ideas with the relo kits and how they had the cut off switch routed through the rear tail light reverse light wire loom. They had some clean looking set ups. That price for Vorctec relo kit is outrageous.... unless of course it is platinum.

trey193

Established Member
Got my Vortech Ice Cooler today for 115 shipped from Hank (HJ16) I think I am going with either the dynabat or Odyssey battery in the fenderwell and remove the washer tank. Way I look at it I will lose some weight by removing the huge stock battery and get the added benefit of ice in the system at the track, should work well. Gotta find who all has done the battery in the fender first.

BenD

Established Member
Votech After Cooler System

I've been fighting the heating issue for some time. I just had RMCR the shop that does my work order the Vortech system.

From what I understnd it holds about a Gallon more coolant, plus you can pack ice around it. I've done everything else and was at the end of my rope, so to speak.

Since I already have the battery trunk mounted I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. As a matter of fact my second mod early last year was the battery relocation. The first was the Kenny Brown sub frame connector system.

Because of the rear shut off switch that mod proved to be one of the most expensive. RMCR uses welding cable to minimize voltage drop and a couple of places where the cable is close to the exhaust they use special heat wrap that is expensive. It wasn't an easy mod and it must be done right. This is one that you shouldn't economize on, at least in my opinion.

The switch is handy in more ways than one . Some work requires that the battery be disconnected as not to damage the computer. With the switch in place, you just go around to the back of the car and shut it off.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
memphis - I suppose you could try that, but that would not make much of a difference, if any at all. Your much better off getting a larger heat exchanger to increase the amount of fluid being pumped.

Do you guys really think the ice will get stuck? I know some people have tried it, hopefully they will chime in. I think as long as you used distilled water you should be ok.

imswheel

Quality SVT Poster
Established Member
Dry Ice

Hello!

I posted several months ago about dropping in some dry ice just for giggles. It worked wonders! Auto Tap showed a significant drop in 2nd intake temp and the car ran much harder for 5 min or so.

Downside is I had to burp the system several times to get the air out and the coolant bottle discolored around the lip badly.

The post about the pipe freezers earler today sent me off googling and if they were not so expensive they would be the trick. They are a portible freezing unit that plumbers use to block off water in a pipe with an ice plug so they can do repairs with out shutting off the whole system. 2 hoses go to an aluminum head that is held against the plumbing. The aluminum block get cold enough to freeze the water in the pipe in just a few minutes!

About 2 grand for the kit from RIDGED tools if anyone wants to give it a try! Just get the tool, mount the block in the IC tank, turn it on and get "chillen"

:beer:

memphisstang

Established Member
JKD COBRA,
The AFCO heat exchanger is $400 + while the bigger than stock Saleen reservoir is only $50. That's why I was thinking of going the Saleen route. If the coolant capacity is double what the stock unit holds then shouldn't it make a pretty significant difference in cooling, since there would be alot more coolant to disperse the heat?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Originally posted by memphisstang
If the coolant capacity is double what the stock unit holds then shouldn't it make a pretty significant difference in cooling, since there would be alot more coolant to disperse the heat?

Only until the coolant reaches normal operating temp. It would just take slightly longer for the fluid to heat up. Not much of a difference, but probably worth it for only $50.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Originally posted by memphisstang
JKD COBRA,
The AFCO heat exchanger is $400 + while the bigger than stock Saleen reservoir is only $50. That's why I was thinking of going the Saleen route. If the coolant capacity is double what the stock unit holds then shouldn't it make a pretty significant difference in cooling, since there would be alot more coolant to disperse the heat?

Where did you find the saleen resevoir for 50$ ???

blown330

Established Member
hey guys,
my truck has a vortech w/ aftercooler. at the track i put ice in the resevoir. if you leave the pump on the ice will melt in a matter of minutes but the water will be alot cooler. after the ice melts i put dry ice on the aftercooler, by the time i get to run there is frost on all the coolant lines ( alot of frost). just make sure you run alot of water wetter or striaght up coolant because the water will freeze inside the lines.

doing that gave me a .5 reduction in time.

hope this helps!

memphisstang

Established Member
03Ssnake,
I just was curious about it after seeing a picture of an S281E engine bay, so I called Saleen's 800 # and asked how much for their intercooler reservoir. But he couldn't answer my question about how much more their unit would hold over the stock Cobra unit. I was hoping someone else here might have researched it?

trey193

Established Member
Blown330 that is a huge gain and very very good info!!! So you are saying before a run you cram it full of ice and put some dry ice on the outside as well to supercool it??? How much mph did you gain with this technique as well????

Users who are viewing this thread