I'd like to inatall a fuel shut off switch

MotorcycleMan

Established Member
Wonder if someone could tell how to install a fuel shut off on my 03 Lightning?
I had some work done to the truck the other day and though drive it 4.7 miles. I wondering if I'm able to shut the fuel off, will they still be able to start it long enough from them to pull it into the shop as needed with out hurting anything? Will it have enough fuel left in the lines to start? Or is there anything else that I could do to disable it from being driven? (besides not taking to a shop to fix things :rollseyes )

Thanks in advance for your help!

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
If you are worried about them abusing the truck. Get a tuner and set a valet tune...you can set a speed or rpm limiter mow enough so they can drive it in and out of the shop, but have no fun.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
If you are worried about them abusing the truck. Get a tuner and set a valet tune...you can set a speed or rpm limiter mow enough so they can drive it in and out of the shop, but have no fun.

This is the best solution, or find a shop that you can actually trust to behave in a professional manner.

Other options would be to take a cell phone photo of the odometer and make it well known you have done so.

I did so one time to see if a dealer road tested my car and how far, mostly to make sure nobody was using it as a daily driver for the time it was at their shop. For a warranty issue that happened at highway speed they claimed to have tested it and found no issue, I showed them the photo of the odometer that indicated they only moved the vehicle 0.2km since I dropped it off, they basically drove it around their lot and said the car was fine.

That was an interesting warranty experience.

MotorcycleMan

Established Member
I have a SCT unit, can that do it? (sorry never use it, my tuner did though)

I did take a picture of the mileage, fuel level and said something to him. But I was to upset at the time, and would had blown up, if I went any further. I still need him to do more work, and I will go into how it was not very professional of him to use/abuse my truck.

Dusten

Established Member
So you're upset he put 5 miles on the truck after doing work? Is he not supposed to test drive it to ensure the work was done correctly?

The SCT can not do it itself, you can have a tuner write you a valet tune and then when you arrive at the service shop load the valet tune.
Or, find one you trust.

MotorcycleMan

Established Member
On a paint job, guess I need to say why, sorry. They used a 1/8 tank of gas in that 4.7 miles. So they had to have it floored darn near the whole time. When I asked why they drove my truck, they said to dry the water off. I hope that explains why I want to do this?

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
On a paint job, guess I need to say why, sorry. They used a 1/8 tank of gas in that 4.7 miles. So they had to have it floored darn near the whole time. When I asked why they drove my truck, they said to dry the water off. I hope that explains why I want to do this?
Yup. No test drive needed there

MotorcycleMan

Established Member
The thing that bothers me the most is I (had) a lot of respect for this shop. And the fact they drove the crap out of it, heck even I have never used that much gas in 4.7 miles.

mizlplix

Established Member
When using a SCT X4 tuner, there is a spec that sets the top RPM in gear and another for RPM in neutral. Set both to 2000 RPM.
That will work fine to even drive to the shop if it is local. (light traffic)

It is easy to reverse set it back after the work is done.

I do it all the time.

Miz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread