Idlers but not pulley?

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Just a question...it's late...debating this at work now. we're real busy:p

Is there anything to gain by swapping the stock idlers with larger ones without changing pulleys? I can't imagine there is much to gained by this --the belt can't be slipping that bad (if at all) with a stock pulley.
Seems like a waste of money to me.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
I don't think anyone knows the answer as I think
I can be rest assured that no-one has dyno'd a
stocker before and after with just idlers.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
5-6 rwhp because of better bearings.
The bearings are the same as stock pulleys.

Doubt if anything would be gained by making the swap that just installing a new belt wouldn't do anyway.

But there is only one way to know for sure. Try it...

Dana

dougwg

Established Member
Dana,

FYI:
Metco and BilletFlow both started selling our idler with Stock OEM Bearings.

We both found out very fast that those bearings were ....coughjunkcough...

Sence then we have both went to a high rpm and high load rating bearings with double lip seal...

That being said...do they spin more free?.... not sure...never tested them for HP increase...but they do last longer

Also, running a 100mm idler over a 90 or 92mm will have less parisitic HP loss...

MCTCC has a dyno day coming up on April 10th... we'll do a test and report back.

BTW: how that puller working with the new bearing?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Doug,
Sorry for the confusion!!
I know you upgraded the bearings, but, and I should have made myself more clear, they are not a low friction $300 bearing and have similar properties to the stock one with regard to friction losses.

And,
I let Lyle use the modded puller to install his pulley on the Aptenized blower he installed last week. I'll get full report on it today. He had no problems with it though. Thanks again!!

Dana, proud owner of the worlds fastest & only Hybrid pulley tool.
:thumbsup: Doug

Dana

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I really don't think you will gain anything. If you run larger idlers, you will have to run a larger belt, and if your not increasing the boost at the same time you might lose some power right? Also, more of the belt will be touching more of the pulleys, that could also decrease power.

Of coarse, that could be totally wrong. I didn't really do a good job of explaining what I was trying to say.

Basically, you want to just enough belt wrap to stop slippage, but there is no reason to increase belt wrap if you don't have a major slippage problem.

Users who are viewing this thread