If and when will the 5.0 get Direct Injection?

wjk

Established Member
Just curious if you guys have heard anything. I've been told the 5.0 is ready for it but does have it just yet. It seems like direct injection is somewhat the way of the future. Direct injection is 100% efficient when delivering fuel and seems to be the big new thing on most newer vehicles. Any ideas?

metaman

Established Member
Seems like the next logical step. We will probably see it in a Lincoln or something like that first. That is where it showed up first on the ecoboost motor.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I wonder what it would cost to convert to DI. I know DI has a bad habit of gumming up, but if the conversion is possible its something worth looking into.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I wouldn't want it until they figure out how to get rid of the carbon problem. I have way to much bad VW experience to want it on my 5.0.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I wonder what it would cost to convert to DI. I know DI has a bad habit of gumming up, but if the conversion is possible its something worth looking into.

Using only existing parts it will be very tough. Using OEM parts from a donor once Ford comes out with one in production should be much simpler.

AmnDucky

Established Member
Using only existing parts it will be very tough. Using OEM parts from a donor once Ford comes out with one in production should be much simpler.

I assume it would just be new heads right? Cost for heads, tune, fuel rails, etc. Might as well throw some cams in while the heads are off.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
One of the major advantages of DI is the ability to use a higher compression ratio. On a DI engine this usually requires a different shape to the combustion chamber, thus new pistons. When the 5.0-2 gets DI, I'll bet that it will require more than just heads. You'll probably have to change the pistons also.

And I to also stupidly purchased a 1st generation DI engined car (MS6), and regret it.

Goodlife

Established Member
We have had it on our jaguars at work for the past year. No major issues yet one or two cars with delivery issues, but Porsche and audi have major problems with buildup on back of valves. Enough to cause idle and drivability issues. They have had it on their new models long before us.
Either way dfi is in it's beginning stages.

nighthawk358

i own a mazdaspeed 3 which is DI and believe me you guys dont want to deal with that fuel system. its a pain to tune, expensive and more complex..stay with what is proven which is port injection and call it a day. my .02

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I assume it would just be new heads right? Cost for heads, tune, fuel rails, etc. Might as well throw some cams in while the heads are off.

No, there's a ton more parts than just those. And a lot of those parts are very expensive.

One of the major advantages of DI is the ability to use a higher compression ratio. On a DI engine this usually requires a different shape to the combustion chamber, thus new pistons. When the 5.0-2 gets DI, I'll bet that it will require more than just heads. You'll probably have to change the pistons also.

And I to also stupidly purchased a 1st generation DI engined car (MS6), and regret it.

Pistons would be another thing that would need to be changed. DI pistons tend to have a small bowl machined into the crown.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
sounds like running some seafoam through the intake every 10k-20k miles or so could prevent the buildup. it's a little more work that you have to do, but i would be willing to do it to get the benefits of direct injection. hell, i do that already actually:lol1:
i own a mazdaspeed 3 which is DI and believe me you guys dont want to deal with that fuel system. its a pain to tune, expensive and more complex..stay with what is proven which is port injection and call it a day. my .02
your problem isn't with direct injection, it's with mazdas direct injection system. the mazda system has many flaws that prevent it from being mod friendly(real shame too, LOVE the mazdaspeed6), but that doesn't mean that all DI systems posses those flaws. in fact, you might have some SHO owners arguing with you about the tuning aspect.
your not serious with that last statement are you:dw: if you believe that then we might as well go back to carburetors.

direct injection is the future, we have to do our best to take advantage of its benefits and negate its flaws.

FWP!

Established Member
I agree that it's the future, but they have carbon buildup issues to work out, first. I think all they need to do is figure out a very good oil recovery system to separate it out of the incoming air charge and it'll be fine. The Audi RS4 has VERY well known and common intake valve carbon build up problems, sometimes cutting the engine's power output by 70 hp.

Maybe a secondary conventional injector setup to keep them clean? Who knows, but it's definitely the future.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Lexus already uses port injection with DI. The main reason for this is to help reduce emissions, but I'm sure that they also use it to keep the valves clean.

On the BMW twin turbo six with DI, the problem is so bad that eventually the carbon will restrict the airflow to the point that the cylinder will not fire at all.

Users who are viewing this thread