If I widen my 10.5's to 11.5's...will they fit?

Drewzilla

Established Member
Basically i have 10.5" wide wheels with a 3/8" spacer on the rear. I still have the stock IRS and Ive already done a little grinding on the stock IRS bolts. I have, and will be getting again 315/35/17" Goodyear GS-D3's. They run a little wider than most 315's it seems and according to tirerack.com, a 10.5" wheel is the smallest width wheel they recommend with that tire and size. Im wanting to widen my wheels to an 11.5 so that the tire wont bulge out as much on the sides. It seems like it would be a little safer and have the contact patch a little flatter as well. Plus in the future I might throw some 335's on there if I go with a solid rear down the road and the wider wheels would allow that without getting new wheels. Im also getting new wheels anyway (same size, different style) and would like to do what I can while they are off of the car. Just curious if anyone has had experience with this. I wont go larger than 3/8" spacers so that's out of the question. They stick out enough for me right now and wouldnt mind the sidewall bulge to decrease some. Thanks for any help!

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
next time you have tires done, take the rim with no tire on it and bolt it on. Get a piece of cardboard and cut a slot in it. Then have 1 inch of material going out from the slot and put it on the inside of the rim to check for clearance. Plus the setup would be more likely to rub with the suspension unloaded so that should give you a good idea.

There is a pic of a 01 Cobra with 17x11 wheels and 315 GSD3s and the sidewall is almost perfectly straight. I'll post tomorrow morning when the search function goes back up

Drewzilla

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I know I have plenty of room with the suspension unloaded. I could probably just jack the car up and take a look and see. It seems that just a half inch wider wouldnt make that much of a difference since the buldge is on both sides but maybe im wrong. Id be happy with 11" wide if that's all I could go. Just trying to rid myself of the buldge for the most part.

BTW I dont have any good shots of the rear right now. The pics I have are very dark under there and you cant really see where the tire stops. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread