If Im doing Cams, should I add studs?

mr 347

Established Member
I have a 2012 gt500, and Im finally adding cams. Some people are telling me to do studs, and others are saying stock is ok. I looked up studs at american muscle, and it says 07-11. Did something change in 2012? The car sits at 790rwhp now before I add anything else. Thanks for the help.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I would not change out the head bolts with studs unless you're pulling the head and replacing the gasket. Heads are torqued in a specific pattern and to change one at a time, I think you'd do more harm than good. That's just me. I would think cylinder pressure would go down with more aggressive camshafts (overlap) over stock cams anyway.

mr 347

Established Member
I would not change out the head bolts with studs unless you're pulling the head and replacing the gasket. Heads are torqued in a specific pattern and to change one at a time, I think you'd do more harm than good. That's just me. I would think cylinder pressure would go down with more aggressive camshafts (overlap) over stock cams anyway.
Thank you for the imput, I appreciate it!!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I have a 2012 gt500, and Im finally adding cams. Some people are telling me to do studs, and others are saying stock is ok. I looked up studs at american muscle, and it says 07-11. Did something change in 2012? The car sits at 790rwhp now before I add anything else. Thanks for the help.
Yes

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

69b302

Established Member
I my experience you really need to drop the motor to do cams. I know it can be done in the car, but makes the actual cam work way harder. If you are removing the motor, I would definitely do studs. I do not think you would be able to do studs, with the motor in the car, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread