If it wasn't broken in before.........

SicShelby09

Banned
It sure is now. I just got back from screaming around the countryside in the new 5.0. All I can say is WOW. My pulley shelby I traded for this was fast, but this is FUN! Its so nice being able to wind it out in every gear, without fear of heat soak. I must have took it to redline in 1-4 about 10 times tonight, and it never skipped a beat. In fact, the harder I pushed it, the faster it felt. And those brembos are just the best. Coming down from 120 to the local speedlimit in a hurry when you think you see a cop is so easy....LOL. This car feels light and nimble. Yeah its not as fast as the shelby was, but the shelby needed all that power to feel fast. Stock it was no faster than this new 5.0, and the 5.0 feels way lighter and much more fun to scream around in. The shelby seemed like it took way more work to get it going.

One thing I do need to say is that I think the 3.73 is maybe at the limit of what gear should be ran in this car. Its fast enough where you may not need such a big gear. It feels like it is always in the wrong gear. Dont get me wrong, I love them, but maybe the 3.55 would make for a more streetable gear. The 3.73s always make me feel like I need to shift when Im not screaming at WOT. I find myself trying to grab a 7th gear that is not there, not realizing that Im already in the top gear. Its a fun ride, but for true street driving maybe the 3.55 would be better. Forget about 4.10s.

Lastly, all I can say is that Ford reallly made a great all around mustang in the new 5.0. The gas mileage is great, but on the other side the ability to turn up the wick with mods is awesome. Bravo. Now if they could only up the build quality a little, and catch so many of those mistakes before they mass produce them, that would be great. I love this car.

Last edited:

kingnut

Established Member
your the first ive heard someone that doesnt love the 373's. still its a cheap enough swap to go down to the 355's. glad you like the car man. i test drove one and i enjoyed it. i wish i had more wheel time with it.

SicShelby09

Banned
your the first ive heard someone that doesnt love the 373's. still its a cheap enough swap to go down to the 355's. glad you like the car man. i test drove one and i enjoyed it. i wish i had more wheel time with it.

I do love them, but it just seems like too much gear with that trans. The car has more than enough power to get it going, and would probably pull just as hard with the 3.55s and would be a little more livable around town. I hate feeling the need to always have to use 6th when driving 40+. I wouldnt want to pull them out in fear of a bad gear install to the 3.55s. They work as advertised, and at the track with a taller tire, they are going to be perfect.

5pointslo

Established Member
I have 3.55 they def have longer strides. Better for highway pulls. Feels like the gear just keeps going ;-D

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
This is the exact reason I wanted regular old 3.31's in mine. Plenty of power as it is, and with fi the 3.31's would be that much better and not wrap out the gears so quick. Either way glad you're enjoying the car!!

ViciousJay

Established Member
Im in mchenry. We should get together and you can drive mine to see what you think. I wanna hear those ghost cams in person too.

i actually got a ride in one this weekend and im still unsure i want a steeper gear, I sold my alxe back tot his guy that has a lava red brembo car and he took me for a ride, and all it seems to do is HOP

SicShelby09

Banned
i actually got a ride in one this weekend and im still unsure i want a steeper gear, I sold my alxe back tot his guy that has a lava red brembo car and he took me for a ride, and all it seems to do is HOP

Yeah mine breaks loose in 1st and 2nd and hops like a mother too. I need that UCA soon.

pohnjarker

Established Member
i have 3.73s and i dont feel the need to go into 6th unless im going 80mph on the highway. sometimes i shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th but i really like running through the gears and hearing my exhaust sing!!!

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I have the 3.73's and almost wish I got the 3.55's.2nd gear is stupid short when going from a dig, although I do wanna try a tall slick with this gearing

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
If you want to get rid of the hop, you'll have to do the LCA's as well. I did the J&M LCA's with poly-ball bushings, and the Roush anti-hop kit. It completely fixed my hop issue. The Roush kit alone didn't, though.. I install it first, and still had hop.

5.0jake

Established Member
I HATED MY 3.31's! They just didn't pull. 6th was too deep.
I'm coming from a bolted speed 3 which had very short gearing and gobs of low end. 3.73's don't seem that short to me.

Grant808

Established Member
After recommending the 'upgrade'...I'm glad you're happy with the move. I'm still loving this car 100% stock, six months later.

Users who are viewing this thread