If there are any Virginia residents up right now, I could really use your help!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Where are you registering vehicle? Im AD USAF and have done this process tons of times. I have always registered all of my vehicles in VA since im from there and have family there. They have low sales tax and AD military are exempt from personal property (as long as your state of residency is outside of VA). My wife is from Missouri so I claim that as my state of residency so I dont pay state taxes at all and this entitles me to be exempt from personal property in VA. You dont need a Bill of Sale, there should be a spot on the title for sale price to be inputted.

As others have stated you do not need to have the car inspected before titling it. Just bring the signed title and proof of insurance to any DMV office. As for inspecting it most gas stations and service stations will do this. If you are registering outside of VA dont worry about inspection. I have not had a current inspection on any of my cars for years, since they are all registered out of state. If you need any help call me at 318-393-0629.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
my 2001 cobra i bought from a private seller. I paid 27k but he wrote me a bill of sale for 20k.lol saved some money on the sales tax. lucky FL stopped doing emission test down here.
you get caught doing that and you COULD (not necessarily WILL) get arrested for tax fraud and some pretty hefty penalties in most states.

fr03cobra

Established Member
you get caught doing that and you COULD (not necessarily WILL) get arrested for tax fraud and some pretty hefty penalties in most states.

i paid cash so no worries here.lol there is no way to find out for sure what you paid when you pay in cash.

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Get the title signed and have the amount put on the title( up to you how much you put down). If they ask you why is the amount so low then you can tell them the car is in non working conditions(blown engine/tranny). In VA, for a car that is 5 years or older you DO NOT need a bill of sale, the title will be your bill of sale(this is on DMV site no matter what they say). Pull and print this info from the DMV site because some women that work there don't know this and if you don't have a bill of sale they will make you pay 3% of NADA value and you don't want to do that. You don't need to inspect the car before registration. You need to MAKE SURE you get liability insurance before you even go to DMV. If you need a smog check and you don't have it done yet, then they will give you a tag for a month so you can get it straight. The DMVs are all the same no matter what area you go here......they are all as*holes. PM me if i can help you, I'm in Fredericksburg.

Redfire_USMC

Established Member
Get the title signed and have the amount put on the title( up to you how much you put down). If they ask you why is the amount so low then you can tell them the car is in non working conditions(blown engine/tranny). In VA, for a car that is 5 years or older you DO NOT need a bill of sale, the title will be your bill of sale(this is on DMV site no matter what they say). Pull and print this info from the DMV site because some women that work there don't know this and if you don't have a bill of sale they will make you pay 3% of NADA value and you don't want to do that. You don't need to inspect the car before registration. You need to MAKE SURE you get liability insurance before you even go to DMV. If you need a smog check and you don't have it done yet, then they will give you a tag for a month so you can get it straight. The DMVs are all the same no matter what area you go here......they are all as*holes. PM me if i can help you, I'm in Fredericksburg.

Thanks for the knowledge man. I will probably get in contact with you soon.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread