If you can't get the GT500, what's your next choice???

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
So if for some reason you are unable to buy a GT500, what would your next choice be???

I'm thinking along the lines of the previous version of the ZO6, maybe a Saleen (although they ain't cheap and I don't like the looks of the rear clip), or the new Dodge Challenger if and when Chrysler builds it.

I'm really leaning towards a Steeda Mustang. I'd get one with Steeda's full brake and suspension package, a forged bottom end, and either Kenny Bell's or Whipple's new blower for the 3V 4.6L at about 12 lbs of boost. I'd ditch the cosmetic stuff except for the hood and maybe a rear ducktail spoiler. With the car being lighter than the GT500 and making similar power it might even be faster than ol Shelby's steed.

I recently saw a video clip of a Mustang with KB's new blower run 11.30's, the boost was set at 11 - 12 lbs. That's pretty freaking sick if you ask me!!! :beer:

Check it out:

KB Supercharged Stang runs 11.30

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
I kick this around in my head all of the time.

I will end up with a 4 door powerstroke tuned by Jon Lund with 5" exhaust etc etc.

I'm a Ford guy and if they can't figure out the 07 Shelby then just screw it, I'll buy a truck next or maybe just save the money and get a KB, 300+ cube aluminum shortblock from VT and some comp cams. This would make me happy for a while.

Later on if I still have the car maybe send it to KennyBrown in Indianapolis for a IRS and K member upgrade. That would be my ideal car if nobody makes what I'm looking for.

jshen

Established Member
Hmmm

Challenger
Vette
GTO
Cadillac CTV
to name a few..

Skywarp

Established Member
03Terminator said:
So if for some reason you are unable to buy a GT500, what would your next choice be???

I'm thinking along the lines of the previous version of the ZO6, maybe a Saleen (although they ain't cheap and I don't like the looks of the rear clip), or the new Dodge Challenger if and when Chrysler builds it.

I'm really leaning towards a Steeda Mustang. I'd get one with Steeda's full brake and suspension package, a forged bottom end, and either Kenny Bell's or Whipple's new blower for the 3V 4.6L at about 12 lbs of boost. I'd ditch the cosmetic stuff except for the hood and maybe a rear ducktail spoiler. With the car being lighter than the GT500 and making similar power it might even be faster than ol Shelby's steed.

I recently saw a video clip of a Mustang with KB's new blower run 11.30's, the boost was set at 11 - 12 lbs. That's pretty freaking sick if you ask me!!! :beer:

Check it out:

KB Supercharged Stang runs 11.30
Why the hell did you sell your car with no horse to jump to :shrug: My opinion is that if you already own a Terminator you can make insane power so there would really be no need to get the 500. If you want something different like a truck, Adrenalin, SRT8 Cherokee, etc thats cool. That 05 your refering to I saw somewhere else and thats the stock block living on borrowed time. If you wanna buld something along the lines of that, get a two-valve and build the shit outta it.

Skywarp

Established Member
jshen said:
Challenger
Vette
GTO
Cadillac CTV
to name a few..
Yes to the Chally, maybe to the Vette, no way in hell to the GTO, The Caddy overpriced.

03DOHC

Established Member
Yates...Man said:
I'm a Ford guy and if they can't figure out the 07 Shelby then just screw it, I'll buy a truck next or maybe just save the money and get a KB, 300+ cube aluminum shortblock from VT and some comp cams. This would make me happy for a while.

Later on if I still have the car maybe send it to KennyBrown in Indianapolis for a IRS and K member upgrade. That would be my ideal car if nobody makes what I'm looking for.
Exactly.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
i'll probably then do what i originally planned.. stick a built 4v in my bullitt, along with a couple of hairdryers for good measure. :rockon:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Skywarp said:
Why the hell did you sell your car with no horse to jump to :shrug: My opinion is that if you already own a Terminator you can make insane power so there would really be no need to get the 500. If you want something different like a truck, Adrenalin, SRT8 Cherokee, etc thats cool. That 05 your refering to I saw somewhere else and thats the stock block living on borrowed time. If you wanna buld something along the lines of that, get a two-valve and build the shit outta it.

I got rid of my Cobra basically because I didn't like it. It was fast as hell but it was also a POS. I think Ford rushed the Terimator Stangs into production as fast as they could and a lot of the quality checks were left out. My car with only 855 miles on the clock had more paint chips in it then my 15 year old Fox body GT vert does. At the time I sold it, the car was scheduled to go in and have the hood repainted because the paint was flaking off. :dw: :dw: :dw: The drive line clunked and clanged like it was going to drop out of the car at any moment. When I took it back to my dealer they said it was normal. :shrug: :poke: :bs: The suspension popped and creaked when turning into a drive way which turned out to be the wrong size bolts used in the rear. :eek: :eek: Then there is the infamous head tick issue that almost all Terminators are/have/or will be plagued with at some time. Personally, I just didn't feel like dealing with all the issues and sold the car at a time I could get the most money for it. Power had nothing to do with it. So now I'm saving my money to get some thing else. If I did any thing like the car in the video, the bottom end would most definitely have forged parts so durability wouldn't be an issue.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
meaty mac said:
i'll probably then do what i originally planned.. stick a built 4v in my bullitt, along with a couple of hairdryers for good measure. :rockon:

I would fly to Ontario just to take a five minute ride in that. Sounds awesome!

NA P-51D

Established Member
I got rid of my Cobra basically because I didn't like it. It was fast as hell but it was also a POS. I think Ford rushed the Terimator Stangs into production as fast as they could and a lot of the quality checks were left out.

What makes you think the new GT500 will be any different? Rushed the Terminator into production. :shrug: I would hate to see Ford really get in a hurry. Benchmark cars have bugs sometimes, that's why I waited on an 04 rather than an 03. I predict we will see very similar problems propping up with the first run GT500s.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
NA P-51D said:
What makes you think the new GT500 will be any different? Rushed the Terminator into production. :shrug: I would hate to see Ford really get in a hurry. Benchmark cars have bugs sometimes, that's why I waited on an 04 rather than an 03. I predict we will see very similar problems propping up with the first run GT500s.

I am 100% certain that there will be issues with the GT500 when it first comes out. I am also pretty certain that it won't be like the Terminators though. The GT500 uses different heads and has a solid rear axle, no IRS. :-D

I'm also not going to buy the first model run either. I'll wait till the 2nd year of production and then pick one up after most of the bugs are worked out and the initial pricing frenzy has died down.

fangstang

Established Member
I'd get a new vette if the cobra's are all spoken for. I just might get it anyway

crazyhorse06

Established Member
C6, M3, Steeda, Roush or see what Kenny Brown and/or Sean Hyland are doing with Mustang GTs. Might even think about a used 911 Turbo.

A guy I work with has a Commerative Edition Z06. If he willing to sell it, that might be an option also.

Last edited:

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Gotta, gotta, have to have 4 seats (2 kids). My options are (not in any order): Roush, Steeda, SRT Charger, SRT 300, wait for Camaro & Challenger, wait for another SE Mustang, or build up a 400+++ HP Marauder myself. Gotta be able to take the kiddos...

Users who are viewing this thread