If you could only do one mod

jdcobra

Established Member
If you could only do one mod for 3 months between exhaust, short throw shifter, or Oil separator, which one would you do and why?

ViciousJay

Established Member
Shifter, shifting correctly,is more important then some noise. Anyways you can drill a few holds before the muffler and have a free mod. There's 2 mods for you then

jdcobra

Established Member
Lol true. I've already purchased all three but I was having a discussion with a friend last night on which and why. I said oil separator to help protect the engine.

bpmurr

Established Member
Oil separator, that's what I did while I see how the shifter and exhaust market shakes out.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Shifter... Exhaust gains 0 horsepower, but adds a little sound. An oil separator is worthless & gains nothing... I'd actually save your money for a tune and not do any of the three...

Speed Junky

Established Member
From the 3, I'd say shifter. A shifter and a nice bolstered seat are two of the best mods you could ever do to a mustang. It makes you feel so much more connected to the road

Turbosixx

Established Member
I wouldn't waste my money on an oil separator. That little bit of oil going back into the intake won't hurt anything.

Last edited:

jdcobra

Established Member
I wouldn't waste my money on an oil separator. That little bit of oil going back into the intake won't hurt anything.

Anyone else share this mans same opinion? I feel if it wasn't needed they would have never made one. But that's just me

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I ran one on my TVS car and didnt empty it for 5 or 6k miles. car barely had a teaspoon of oil in the separator. I would say not really needed per se' however its a nice precaution IMO.

As far as the the question at hand i would do exhaust. I never had issues shifting the 12 with just a JHR bracket and line. This new shifter feels pretty good so I am in no rush to replace that either. I have had 0 issues with 7k rpm shifts so far.

jdcobra

Established Member
I ran one on my TVS car and didnt empty it for 5 or 6k miles. car barely had a teaspoon of oil in the separator. I would say not really needed per se' however its a nice precaution IMO.

As far as the the question at hand i would do exhaust. I never had issues shifting the 12 with just a JHR bracket and line. This new shifter feels pretty good so I am in no rush to replace that either. I have had 0 issues with 7k rpm shifts so far.

Yea I read that they are needed more on vehicles with power adders than anything else. But as you said, it's a nice precaution.

Even if a bracket and simple fluid swap fixed the shifter I'd stay with the stock one. It just gets crunchy at times and I don't like it

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I asked my tuner if I needed a oil separator since it seems like everyone is buying them. I have a blower & make 600whp. He told me he never runs one & they're a waste. The little bit of oil doesn't hurt anything.

IMO... It's called marketing. Make a product to sell & make a profit. As long as they are selling it doesn't really matter how much benefit there is...

Last edited:

jdcobra

Established Member
I asked my tuner if I needed a oil separator since it seems like everyone is buying them. I have a blower & make 600whp. He told me he never runs one & they're a waste. The little bit of oil doesn't hurt anything.

IMO... It's called marketing. Make a product to sell & make a profit. As long as they are selling it doesn't really matter how much benefit there is...

So is it not true that it will dirty up the manifold over time? Just curious

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Without one you'll get a few drops of oil in your intake. It won't hurt anything... 99% of the cars on the road have a little oil in their intake.

If you spend $150 on one will it make your engine last longer... No. Will it make more power... No...
Save your money & take your family out to dinner...

Turbosixx

Established Member
I agree it's a marketing thing. They show you the oil collecting in the catch can and interpret that as something bad. That small amount of oil compared to the amount of air/fuel the engine is using is nothing and it certainly isn't bad for the engine.

jdcobra

Established Member
I agree it's a marketing thing. They show you the oil collecting in the catch can and interpret that as something bad. That small amount of oil compared to the amount of air/fuel the engine is using is nothing and it certainly isn't bad for the engine.

Wouldn't breathers be better if anything or not? I bought into the hype I guess you could say and bought one for my '12 5.0

Users who are viewing this thread