If you had a stock Cobra, what would you do first?

03 Zinc Rocket

Established Member
I have a stock 03 Zinc Cobra with 32,000 miles. I bought it used about 8 months ago and it was built in 8-02. I've had it to the dealer to get the creaking steering fixed, the TOB fixed, and it's in the shop right now hopefully getting the "tick" fixed. I want to do some mods to it and make around 500hp or so to run low 11's. What mods would you guys do to make this happen? This is the recipe that I was thinking about:
BBK longtubes w/ o/r h-pipe
2.80 pulley
JLT CAI
Accufab t/b
Mac catback
what else do I need????????

Last edited:

JerseySVT

Established Member
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Add a MGW shifter to the list and don't forget about a chip and tune. I'd suggest a custom dyno tune, not mail order especially since you are close to some good tuners.

Oh, and get a set of Nittos or BFG DRs before you do those mods. You'll need them. :beer:

Last edited:

davbrucas

Banned
i would wait on the LTs...

-stiegemeier ported blower/TB/plenum $495
-JLT CAI $230
-SLP or Stinger catback $500
-billetflow pulley/idler system (2.93) $400
-RWTD predator/tunes $420
-SCT MAF $250
-KB BAP $200

500rwhp within reach...and safely at that.

metaman

Established Member
I also have a stock cobra. I actually bought it new over 1 year ago, and I have held off on the mods so far. It has not been easy to hold off, but the thought of something expensive breaking and me having to pay for it with credit cards has kept me in check.

However, I will be getting a head golf course superintendents job soon that will more than double my income and here is what I am planning on doing after the 10k in credit cards is payed off which should only take a few months.

JDM magna charger w/2.8 pulley (should be released soon)
Hermans new power plate
billetflow trottle body
kenny bell boost a pump
sct mass air sensor
apten cooling mod
jlt cai
upgraded Heat Exchanger
60 lb./hr injectors
mrt catted h pipe
mac cat back
hans racecraft subframe connectors
solid rear axel with steeda 5 link
centerforce dual friction clutch w/26 spline input shaft
recaro seats
rear seat delete
dynojet wideband commander

The power mods should put me at about 550 at the wheels, and the drivetrain mods should help me put the power to the ground. Once I learn how to control that amount of power I should be able to run low 11's no problem.

Jpjr

Established Member
First thing I would do is hit the search button :-D

No seriously, this forum has probably the greatest archive of knowledge every documented on the 03/04 Cobra. Every part has been discussed, every problem analyzed, every mod instructed,... everything!

I've been here since August. If I had to do it all over again, before I bought a single part I would have spent at least 1-2 hrs each day for a few weeks just reading here. It's all been done... and you'll be able to easily distinguish from the good mods and the bad mods, and the good parts and the bad parts.

metaman

Established Member
I agree with Jpjr, I have spent countless hours absorbing information off of this forum and off of modularfords.com forums. I will now be able make very educated decisions and greedy shops will not be able to sell me stuff that I don't need.

scottt42

Established Member
The first thing I am doing is spending lots of time HERE learning from others mistakes. I think the first order of business is to get the power at my stock levels, smoothly to the ground and then ad more power that I can control.

Fleck 5

Established Member
K&N FIPK. $170 and between 24-30 rwhp depending on the car. It has been dynoed by several of the magazines and the gains are unbelievable. Removing the restrictive factory air box and replacing it with a FIPK adds 1 1/2 lbs of boost and that is why there are such high gains.

bignose

Banned
scottt42 said:
The first thing I am doing is spending lots of time HERE learning from others mistakes. I think the first order of business is to get the power at my stock levels, smoothly to the ground and then ad more power that I can control.

Very well said! :rockon:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Start with Borla Stingers. If you haven't already replace the paper air filter, do so with a K&N.

My next mod will be a whipple running at stock PSI. That should push me into a safe 480 RWHP setup. :thumbsup:

fr03cobra

Established Member
Just do this and be done.

2.3 Whipple Blower
60# Injectors w/harness
Maf ext
Duel focus fuel pumps
Tune
Accufab Throttle body
NGK TR6 Plugs
Gords Heat Exchanger

Jpjr

Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
Start with Borla Stingers. If you haven't already replace the paper air filter, do so with a K&N.

My next mod will be a whipple running at stock PSI. That should push me into a safe 480 RWHP setup. :thumbsup:

8500 posts and your going for stock boost? man is that restraint!!!

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Check out the "What mods do you regret" thread. It's pretty good and has a lot of insight on different mods, what should've came before certain mods (example: tires before a pulley), etc.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Jpjr said:
8500 posts and your going for stock boost? man is that restraint!!!

Yes I am. Any more than that on a whipple and I'll have to start swapping out parts like the clutch and axleshafts. :thumbsup:

03yellow

Established Member
Port Blower &tb $495
Maf extender $100
2.76 pulley $120
Idler pulley $100
CAI $150
Exhaust Mac $500
Predator tuner $395

$1860 over 500rwhp

or pulley, idler, Cold air, Tuner
$740 about 425 to 440rwhp