Ignition issues revisited

RBB

Established Member
I’ve had intermittent problems starting my car over the last few years. Specifically, I turn the key and absolutely nothing happens. I always assumed it was the clutch safety switch not being fully engaged as the next time I turned the key the car might fire right up, and the issue might not creep up for months afterward. Was never a big deal, so I never really looked into it.

Fast forward to today, which seems to be an unrelated issue. Go to start the car and it cranks very slowly and won’t start. Battery and alt are both good. Starter relay and fuse both good. Excluding those things, any ideas? Bad starter?

Here’s a video clip. Note that after I return the key to the off position, the cluster goes through that rapid fire clicking routine like it does when you’re loading a new tune on the car. I found that pretty strange.

Last edited:

RBB

Established Member
Follow up for anyone else who runs into a similar issue. Went ahead and picked up a new starter this morning and swapped it in. Car fired right up.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you had the issue again since the starter swap? I same issue intermittently on my 11 where I turn the key and absolutely nothing. It never occurs consistently enough for me to trouble shoot.

RBB

Established Member
Have you had the issue again since the starter swap? I same issue intermittently on my 11 where I turn the key and absolutely nothing. It never occurs consistently enough for me to trouble shoot.
I haven't, but I don't think the bad starter and the instances where I turn the key and nothing happens are related. Pretty sure that's due to a bad clutch safety switch. It's a $30 part if you want to contort yourself and try to replace it. I've had the part sitting around for well over a year, just haven't gotten around to replacing it since it's so intermittent.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Its possible the starter had a short to ground on the load side drawing off a ton of current. Been a while since Ive seen a starter that bad though lol.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I had very close to the same issue a few weeks ago. I fought it for weeks. Turn the key and sometimes it would start and sometimes nothing. I initially thought it was the clutch safety switch or a severe power drain on the battery, but it turned out to be the solenoid for the starter had a broken piece internally.
Changed out the solenoid and the issue disappeared and has not returned.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure your negative terminal is clean and secure. Bad grounds can be a absolute nightmare. As others have said, inspect the starter all the connection points.

RBB

Established Member
Make sure your negative terminal is clean and secure. Bad grounds can be a absolute nightmare. As others have said, inspect the starter all the connection points.
I took a good look at my old one before I pulled it out, and all the connections were solid, neg terminal was clean as well. Nothing was obviously wrong there.

Users who are viewing this thread