Ignition Swap-Possible?

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
My car 2003 Mustang Cobra.
My steering rod actuator broke. I disassembled it however in the process I broke the Air bag clock spring. So now I am thinking it might be less expensive If I replace the entire steering column (steering wheel included) from a salvage yard. What I want to know is does it matter what car (GT, V6, Cobra) or MT AT the steering column comes from? I figure that the only thing that would matter would be that it has cruise control.

Second, can I swap out the Ignition and sensor to the new column so that my key continues to work.?

bullitt2735

Established Member
I'd just replace the clockspring, it's pretty easy to do, I had to replace mine a few years ago in my bullitt. I think it was less than $100 if I remember right

Sp3edD3m0n

Established Member
I looked up the clock springs and they run $135 at American muscle. Hell I think I am just going to run an after market steering wheel then. The clock spring is only for the air bag right? So if I were to put on an aftermarket steering wheel then I wouldnt need the clock spring?

Wayneo

Established Member
I looked up the clock springs and they run $135 at American muscle. Hell I think I am just going to run an after market steering wheel then. The clock spring is only for the air bag right? So if I were to put on an aftermarket steering wheel then I wouldnt need the clock spring?

Clock spring is for the airbag, horn and cruise control switches

Users who are viewing this thread