Ignition Upgrade Questions / Recommedations

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
It is time for a plug change. I wanted to perform some other related upgrades, as well; but I cannot find any information regarding performance plug wires and coilpacks. Doe anyone make either?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
There are no plug wires to upgrade and I am not aware of anyone making couls yet. The 2 main options seem to the be the kenne bell boost-a-spark and the plasma booster. I have the plasma booster on my truck and honestly havnt noticed much from it, but boost levels arent that high and spark blowout isnt an issue either.

Emil

Established Member
Honestly upgrading your ignition is a waste of money unless you are pushing ungodly amounts of boost. Spend it on other things :).

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Actually, it is not a waste.

As you can see in my sig, I use the AfterBurner to increase or decrease fuel pressure to flatten out my A/F ratio. In most cases, I am increasing the pressure. As a result, I want to improve the spark to go along with it.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
The pic of earls 2.4 KB show a few FAT coil packs. I have no idea what they were, but they were huge.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
The pic of earls 2.4 KB show a few FAT coil packs. I have no idea what they were, but they were huge.
Yea, KB eluded to the fact somewhere that I read that they were working on making upgreaded coils packs or something along those lines.

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
my buddy used to work at a race shop and used to build a lot of stroker 5.0's and such...he was stressing to me how important ignition is for detonation..example he gave me was....customer came in with a regular eclipse..didnt want to go turbo or antyhing and decided on a 100 shot...they put intake, exhaust on the car, and the 100 shot and used a good MSD ignition and good wires...had no problems and was pretty quick actually...car ended up dynoing like a 150 fwhp more than off the spray and had no problems handling it...customer on his own decided the wires didnt match his car so bought some cheap ones...one night it kept breaking up and he was hearing noises so he came back to the shop, my buddy checked it over and noticed the wires...put the msd's back on and what do you know? car ran fine..morale of the story is I that I am thinking of ignition upgrades to help relieve the cylinder pressure from boost

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by JaketheSnake
my buddy used to work at a race shop and used to build a lot of stroker 5.0's and such...he was stressing to me how important ignition is for detonation......

.......car ran fine..morale of the story is I that I am thinking of ignition upgrades to help relieve the cylinder pressure from boost
No offense intended, but im confused a bit. Detonation usually has little or nothing to do with the ingition system. Detonation is when the fuel mixture "detonates" prior to being ignited by the ignition system, usually due to heat/pressure or excessivly lean condition.

As I mentioned above, we do not have plug wires on our cars, each plu has its own coil that sits on top of each plug.

The ford coils are actually very good quality for our cars with factory to moderate boost. What does happen however is that once the boost increases and cylinder pressures rise it makes it harder for the spark to jump the gap, this is why when cranking up boost closing plug gap is recommended.

You generally dont have to worry about this being a large problem until hitting 17+ psi. Kenne Bell makes a boost activated device which ups the voltage to help the spark jump the gap and it reportedly works very well for overcomming many of the issues in high boost cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread