IL/NC Registration question

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Hey

I just wanted to know if there is any law in NC or IL where I can say live in NC while the car is registered in IL. I could have sworn I read somewhere that if the car has dual ownership that if one person lives out of state and the other in another that it can be registered in either state.

Reason I ask is because my car is still registered in IL and so is my license while I am living in NC now. And my dad is also listed as an owner (co-signer) on the loan. If I dont have to go through the trouble of emisions here in NC I dont want to lol.

Im not trying to get around the law, I just want to know what the law is in this case.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
I am in the military. I reside in OK but my residency is IL. I can't answer you question because I don't know the answer but I can tell you that if you keep your IL license it is a lot easier to keep your tags. The tags are easy just use your fathers address. The license is the tough part. Most, if not allstates if your non military they have you get theirs issued within a certain time. I would imagine if you just kept the status quo you'd be alright but if you ever had to get a NC license you'd probably have a problem. (ie your IL one expires) Just in case PM and I have the IL DVS number. They would definitely be able to tell you, they have answered many a question from me through the years.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Hey

I just wanted to know if there is any law in NC or IL where I can say live in NC while the car is registered in IL. I could have sworn I read somewhere that if the car has dual ownership that if one person lives out of state and the other in another that it can be registered in either state.

Reason I ask is because my car is still registered in IL and so is my license while I am living in NC now. And my dad is also listed as an owner (co-signer) on the loan. If I dont have to go through the trouble of emisions here in NC I dont want to lol.

Im not trying to get around the law, I just want to know what the law is in this case.

A co-signer on a loan is not the same thing as a co-owner for registration purposes. Is your father listed on the title and registration?

Regardless, most states have a law that if the vehicle is consistently in the state for certain period of time (30 or 60 days) it must be registered there.

AlanSVT

Established Member
Are you in the military or maybe a student.

Hell My home of record is NM. I have a New York Drivers license and all my cars are registered in NC...

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
good luck getting NC to go along with that. ive battled with the DMV here over the most ridiculous things. if your insurance is out of state, but titled here, they WILL investigate why.

kinda ran into this issue when i moved to atlanta.

good luck

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
I used to be in the army but not anymore but still work on base. DoD Civilian so I dont think that same law applies to me.

And to answer your question FordSVT im not 100% I will have to go look at my registration card to see. I want to say he is listed but could be wrong. Cant check the tittle though because the bank still has that.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have been thinking of registering my car in TN while i live here to get around emissions but decided against it. When i first moved over here i got pulled in my GT and had an Atlanta license and the officer told me you were supposed to get a NC license within 30 days.

As for your question about keeping an IL plate i doubt it, NC is full of assholes. Good luck and be sure to let us know what happens.

cotchnobra

Established Member
What I did was remain a resident of missouri while living in Maryland and that made it so I could keep missouri liscense and plates and told the insurance company the vehicle would be primarily in Maryland. I also have a lot of friends that still do that. one of them has ohio tags and license and lives here in Maryland. I would suggest you call the DMV and look into the NC laws to make sure you won't get fines later on if you decide to stay there or in trouble when pulled over.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I have been thinking of registering my car in TN while i live here to get around emissions but decided against it. When i first moved over here i got pulled in my GT and had an Atlanta license and the officer told me you were supposed to get a NC license within 30 days.

As for your question about keeping an IL plate i doubt it, NC is full of assholes. Good luck and be sure to let us know what happens.

no insurance required either.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member

Ive always wondered how do they know how long youve been in state?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Ive always wondered how do they know how long youve been in state?

most of the time the person they are talking to will just tell them, because usually people are blind to the 30 day rule. but if they want to they can do an investigation and find out. unless you live totally off the grid.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
most of the time the person they are talking to will just tell them, because usually people are blind to the 30 day rule. but if they want to they can do an investigation and find out. unless you live totally off the grid.

Yeah if I get caught so to speak I will probably just tell them. Im a horrible liar lol.

Users who are viewing this thread