Illinois

kylez28

Established Member
If you get caugh for illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor(i'm 19) will u lose your driver's license even though you were walking...

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Does that mean you can't walk anymore?

Why would they take your license for "drunk walking"?

And do they consider it a DUI? Will you be prosecuted as such?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In some states yes. It is similar to a lot of states now that will pull the drivers license of a person who doesnt pay his court ordered child support. Driving is a privilege and the statutes of your state may say that you arent entitled to that privilege if you do certain things, like drinking alcohol as a minor or not paying your child support.

FBMphil

Established Member
It depends on the state. In some it's no tolerance, some take it on 2nd offense. Get lawyered up though, I know a fair amount of people who've got an MIP or two for booze and still kept their licenses.

kylez28

Established Member
Yeah I plan on getting a lawyer, but I did blow in the breathalyzer, but that wasn't on record that was just a kind of for the hell of it thing. I know the cop won't show up at court anyhow. I did blow a .14 though and i'm not sure how, because my friend had drank the same amount as me and I weigh more and he blew a .06, although the cops didnt even know how to work the breathalyzer right, so it was probably an inaccuracte reading.

I guess how much I blew doesn't make a difference, but I read somewhere that if you get an illegal consumption you will lose your driving privleges for 1 year, then I read later that if u get a DUI under 21 u get ur license suspended 6 months? This certainly can't be true that Illegal Consumption has a more harsh penalty than DUI?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
kylez28 said:
Yeah I plan on getting a lawyer, but I did blow in the breathalyzer, but that wasn't on record that was just a kind of for the hell of it thing. I know the cop won't show up at court anyhow. I did blow a .14 though and i'm not sure how, because my friend had drank the same amount as me and I weigh more and he blew a .06, although the cops didnt even know how to work the breathalyzer right, so it was probably an inaccuracte reading.

I guess how much I blew doesn't make a difference, but I read somewhere that if you get an illegal consumption you will lose your driving privleges for 1 year, then I read later that if u get a DUI under 21 u get ur license suspended 6 months? This certainly can't be true that Illegal Consumption has a more harsh penalty than DUI?

The officer will show up. If an officer misses a DUI court date he will be ripped by his dept. And the judge will almost certainly postpone until the officer can show up. DUI is taken very seriously.

Additionally, I would submit that a drunk teenager isnt the best judge of if a breathalizer is being operated properly.

Good luck, you will need it.

Illegal consumption can have a worse penalty than DUI, as it is illegal for you to drink any alcohol and driving a car is a privilege and not a right.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I agree with FordSVTFan, some states can and will suspend a driver license even if you are not driving and you must take alcohol education classes in order to even get it back. There are many ways to get suspended. It is zero tolarance with minors in my state. Minor in Consumption carrys the same penalty as M-DUI. Max fine is $500.00 and/plus alcohol education courses.

lowdrag

Established Member
In Illinois, yes, you will lose your D.L. if it was a state charge. However, if it was a city ordinance ticket that you got, you may not. In my area the ordinance tickets are considered civil and not criminal. If you pay the ticket nothing happens. But if you fight it and lose, then it gets reported to the state and once again, you lose your license.

kylez28

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The officer will show up. If an officer misses a DUI court date he will be ripped by his dept. And the judge will almost certainly postpone until the officer can show up. DUI is taken very seriously.

Additionally, I would submit that a drunk teenager isnt the best judge of if a breathalizer is being operated properly.

Good luck, you will need it.

Illegal consumption can have a worse penalty than DUI, as it is illegal for you to drink any alcohol and driving a car is a privilege and not a right.

What are you talking about? This isn't a DUI court date...it's illegal consumption. As to I'm not the best judge as to how a breathalizer is being used, I never said I was. The officer himself said he didn't know how to use it properly, cuz it was different from the other one he learned.

Not to mention, I've been to court before and while I was there, there were a couple of Illegal Consumption cases and I didn't see one officer.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
kylez28 said:
What are you talking about? This isn't a DUI court date...it's illegal consumption. As to I'm not the best judge as to how a breathalizer is being used, I never said I was. The officer himself said he didn't know how to use it properly, cuz it was different from the other one he learned.

Not to mention, I've been to court before and while I was there, there were a couple of Illegal Consumption cases and I didn't see one officer.

The officer will show!

lowdrag

Established Member
kylez28 said:
This isn't a DUI court date...it's illegal consumption.

That's a good point. It also means that the officer has no burden of proof that you were over a certain blood alcohol concentration or were legally intoxicated. He only has to prove that you consumed alchohol. That's not too difficult a burden to meet. The breathalizer in these cases is usually used as a backup and additional proof after the officer already has observed plenty to prove a case of consumption.

bolinger06

Established Member
i was wondering about this also..here in indiana i have talked to some friends that now live in indianapolis and they said it is just a $25 ticket for underage drinking. is this true or no?

Users who are viewing this thread