Im at a loss...

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
I just finished the breakin on my clutch (750 miles) with just an occasional harder than normal acceleration (perhaps 3 romps after 500 miles) The throw out bearing is already starting to slightly chatter... but that something im just thinking i need to get familiar and comfortable with (cause its not even 1k old yet)

Anyways... my problem arises with my 5th gear... I have never had a T3650 do this to me so I am slightly concerned... If I punch it while in 5th gear, it feels like the clutch is slipping. It will give me a momentary bog with a slight rpm increase before everything catches and it goes. The problem is (and the reason i dont think its clutch slip) is that it only does it in 5th gear... (roughly 2k rpms)

What do you guys think it could be? I didnt really notice it as much before I changed out the clutch, but i also put a CAI and mid pipe on at the same time.. so I dont know if it would be the CAI doing it.... Any ideas?

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
The way you usually test for clutch slippage is to tput the car in the highest gear and floor it, the load generated by pushing the vehicle against 5th is what causes the slip, if you're are going to get any at all. You have a slipping clutch.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
How is it possible to have a new clutch slipping unless its glazed? Which that i do not see happening either? The cable it adjusted so that the cable is a turn away from snug on the clutch fork...Thanks for the quick reply. Its been kind of bugging me.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
Do you have a firewall adjuster or quadrant? How much play is in the pedal? What did you torque the pressure plate to? My throw out bearing makes noise too, just hit or miss with them sometimes.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think I had the same issue way back when I was stock. I figured it had to do with lugging the motor in a high gear.

Stallion110300

Established Member
I think I had the same issue way back when I was stock. I figured it had to do with lugging the motor in a high gear.

Mine does the same thing, only 3000 miles on my clutch and did it on my old clutch as well. My mechanic also had an 01 and he said its the motor bogging for just a second

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
I have a FFRP quadrant and cable... The cable is not putting any tension on the clutch fork. Its about a turn away from being against it. and the quadrant is on the furthest fork (where the FFRP notes said to put it for non firewall adjusted clutches. I torqued it to the required torque of 33 or whatever foot lbs and a 60* turn from that.

Last edited:

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
If your talking about a slight rpm increase then it's normal mine does it as well. But if you are talking about the clutch actually slipping and Rpm's flying up then it's a bad adjustment or something just went wrong.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Let me solve your problem. Don't punch it in 5th gear, the cars not going to act right at a low rpm in an overdrive type gear mashing the pedal. Like someone said you could just be bogging the motor down.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
The only reason i realized it was doing it is because when shifting into 5th it will occasionally do it.. then I figured out how to make the problem worse by just punching it...

RX1Cobra

Established Member
You're not going from no throttle at all to full are you? Could be slop in the drivetrain (normal). Try being slightly on the gas and doing it. Does it still happen?

Users who are viewing this thread