I'm back and giving the Cobra some love!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Guys, I've been out of the game for quite a while, but I'm looking to get back in. I spent over 5 years in Hawaii, which was fan-freaking-tastic, but the car got no love out there, shipping for parts was just too much. The sun out there is no joke and killed an already fading paint job. So, that's on my list of things to do. Thankfully, I was able to save some coin, so I have a stash of cash ready to unload. I'm still converting her to more of a track toy, so some sticky tires that I can still drive on the street are in order. I'm thinking BFG G-force Rivals. My hood is done, so either a VIS racing cowl or an HO Fibertrends Cowl. I think the VIS is taller, so I think my Sullivan intake will like that better. Other than that, I'm getting a roll bar and some harnesses and a few minor cosmetic things. I'm tempted to cut and weld on an MM strut tower brace to fit my intake. Hopefully by the summer I'll be searching out track day or autocross events! :burnout:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the strut brace worth it on these cars? Everyone I've known that had them said they didn't notice a difference. I never ran one because I didn't want to drill all those holes.

Welcome back, BTW.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Since there is no upper arm on these cars, I would think that any flex would significantly impact the front geometry. Do I have any data on that? No.

I see you got rid of your BB/S. Did you have problems with it or just decide to change cars?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ended up losing a lower radiator hose in a middle of California traffic. By the time I was able to get it parked the damage was done. After all the other issues I just got tired of dealing with it. The wife gave me the green light to get a Mystichrome and I jumped on it. It was my dream car since 2004 anyway. The 01 went to a new home and last I heard he was thrilled with it. I still have the BB/S. It's under a cover in the garage waiting for the day I decide to rebuild it.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I ended up losing a lower radiator hose in a middle of California traffic. By the time I was able to get it parked the damage was done. After all the other issues I just got tired of dealing with it. The wife gave me the green light to get a Mystichrome and I jumped on it. It was my dream car since 2004 anyway. The 01 went to a new home and last I heard he was thrilled with it. I still have the BB/S. It's under a cover in the garage waiting for the day I decide to rebuild it.

That sounds awful. I've always had a thing for the 96 Mystic, but the thought of a convertible Mystichrome has crossed my mind a few times.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That sounds awful. I've always had a thing for the 96 Mystic, but the thought of a convertible Mystichrome has crossed my mind a few times.

I was pretty upset. I had everything apart in the garage and one day looked around and decided I was over it. All my friends were trying to support me, but I had no motivation. That's when I figured it was time to move on.

If you're turning this one into a track toy there's nothing wrong with getting a nice day cruiser. When I was looking there were a few verts for sale. This one ended up being the only coupe I could find. I thought about geting a vert, but I like hard tops.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I was pretty upset. I had everything apart in the garage and one day looked around and decided I was over it. All my friends were trying to support me, but I had no motivation. That's when I figured it was time to move on.

If you're turning this one into a track toy there's nothing wrong with getting a nice day cruiser. When I was looking there were a few verts for sale. This one ended up being the only coupe I could find. I thought about geting a vert, but I like hard tops.

I know the feeling. My alternator went out at the end of August and I didn't have the motivation to fix it. Cars still sitting my garage. I'll fix it before it's warm again but I've had the car so long I can't sell it (bought new in 01).

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I know the feeling. I have a 2010 FX4 as a daily. I'm kinda ashamed to admit it. I love driving the Cobra, but I can rarely wring it out anywhere, it's a pain to park in tight places, I took the AC out because it's heavy, it SUCKS in the rain, the Corbeau seats are hard to get in and out of, ect. When did I get old? I don't have as much garage space at my new place, but luckily I've done almost every mod I want to. I still have a few things left, mainly the k member and switching to 31 spline axles and a Torsen, but with some tires, brake pads, a roll bar, and a harness I'll be safe enough to hit the track and have fun instead of wrench.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I know the feeling. My alternator went out at the end of August and I didn't have the motivation to fix it. Cars still sitting my garage. I'll fix it before it's warm again but I've had the car so long I can't sell it (bought new in 01).

I had mine about 9.5 years. I thought I'd never get rid of it. Especially after I dumped so much money into it.

Always loved mystichrome post some pics up let's see that awsome car.

Weird, I had a thread here with pics from the day I brought it home. Guess I should make a new one at some point since I've done some work shining it up.

I know the feeling. I have a 2010 FX4 as a daily. I'm kinda ashamed to admit it. I love driving the Cobra, but I can rarely wring it out anywhere, it's a pain to park in tight places, I took the AC out because it's heavy, it SUCKS in the rain, the Corbeau seats are hard to get in and out of, ect. When did I get old? I don't have as much garage space at my new place, but luckily I've done almost every mod I want to. I still have a few things left, mainly the k member and switching to 31 spline axles and a Torsen, but with some tires, brake pads, a roll bar, and a harness I'll be safe enough to hit the track and have fun instead of wrench.

My daily is an F250 diesel. I love that truck. I've wanted one forever and after my Expedition got totaled I took it as a sign. It's funny, but I'm actually enjoying the power level I'm at now. This one is no where near as fast as my 01 was, but I'm able to use it. I do miss having all the power sometimes, but being able to start and go is awesome. I still have A/C too. So I use it for long trips sometimes.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
My daily is an F250 diesel. I love that truck. I've wanted one forever and after my Expedition got totaled I took it as a sign. It's funny, but I'm actually enjoying the power level I'm at now. This one is no where near as fast as my 01 was, but I'm able to use it. I do miss having all the power sometimes, but being able to start and go is awesome. I still have A/C too. So I use it for long trips sometimes.

When I get back to Texas, the dream is a King Ranch F250 diesel with the FX4 package. But most places the Navy sends me are way too small for a truck that size. I can't even get my F150 with the 5.5 ft bed in my "2" car garage here in MD. I stayed NA for usable power, at least I thought. I still had to feather the throttle in 1st and 2nd, or I'd get sideways. Hopefully some stickier rubber will solve that problem. But, part of the other decision on staying NA was to turn this car into a track toy anyway. So I went larger on the cams than I otherwise would have. No big deal since I had other daily drivers as an option.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice to see you back and that you still have the car!
Staying NA is fun and with good suspension mods, plenty fast around turns. At least that's what I tell myself to stay happy with the power level I'm at, LOL!
Are you still on the IRS? if so, get a diff cooler when installing the Torsen, I burnt mine up quickly with extended high speed runs on the Autobahn and 2 laps on the Nürburgring.

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I get back to Texas, the dream is a King Ranch F250 diesel with the FX4 package. But most places the Navy sends me are way too small for a truck that size. I can't even get my F150 with the 5.5 ft bed in my "2" car garage here in MD. I stayed NA for usable power, at least I thought. I still had to feather the throttle in 1st and 2nd, or I'd get sideways. Hopefully some stickier rubber will solve that problem. But, part of the other decision on staying NA was to turn this car into a track toy anyway. So I went larger on the cams than I otherwise would have. No big deal since I had other daily drivers as an option.

I'm at the comfortable limit with the size of my truck for around here. If it wasn't my daily I might have looked into a long bed. But as it is now I usually end up taking up two spots because of the length. Although I'll usually end up with something like a smart car parked behind me because they fit in what's left of the second spot. But after towing my boat over the mountain between here and Az I could never go back to a gasser. It was too effortless. And the wife wants to get a toy hauler eventually. So I had to plan ahead.

Better tires should help a lot. I remember when I put the T trim on I still had Sumitomos and one of the times I punched it I ended up in the next lane. Shortly after that I went back to drag radials. They still spun a little with the F1A, but at least it was controllable.

Your car is definitely set up for turns from what I remember. If that's what I had planned I would have found another aluminum block. But my car handled well enough for what I used it for. I do have a MM K member waiting to go into my 04.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Staying NA is fun and with good suspension mods, plenty fast around turns. At least that's what I tell myself to stay happy with the power level I'm at, LOL!
Are you still on the IRS? if so, get a diff cooler when installing the Torsen, I burnt mine up quickly with extended high speed runs on the Autobahn and 2 laps on the Nürburgring.

Sometimes I wish I had stayed NA with my 01. I think I'd still have it if I did. But that's why I've been doing all the suspension stuff on my 04 this time. I'm good with the power. So I figure I'll make it handle first this time.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member

Yep, that is on the list of things to do, but right now I'm going to leave well enough alone. The clutch packs are still good, as are the halfshafts for now. Hopefully, I can tear into the rear next year. I am still on the IRS, just with delrin bushings and a solid mounted diff. These new cars are their crazy power levels do have me a little jealous, but for 99% of the cars actually out there, I'll toast em. And for the other 1%, I can turn way faster than most of those.

I'm at the comfortable limit with the size of my truck for around here. If it wasn't my daily I might have looked into a long bed. But as it is now I usually end up taking up two spots because of the length. Although I'll usually end up with something like a smart car parked behind me because they fit in what's left of the second spot. But after towing my boat over the mountain between here and Az I could never go back to a gasser. It was too effortless. And the wife wants to get a toy hauler eventually. So I had to plan ahead.

Better tires should help a lot. I remember when I put the T trim on I still had Sumitomos and one of the times I punched it I ended up in the next lane. Shortly after that I went back to drag radials. They still spun a little with the F1A, but at least it was controllable.

Your car is definitely set up for turns from what I remember. If that's what I had planned I would have found another aluminum block. But my car handled well enough for what I used it for. I do have a MM K member waiting to go into my 04.

It is. Coil overs all around, delrin everywhere, ect ect. I stayed NA and aluminum block for the weight savings over the front.

McGnarly

Established Member
Can't speak for the hardtop but the strut tower brace made a world of a difference on my vert

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I think I'm going to try it anyway. I just bought a MiG welder, so I might as well put it to some use.

Users who are viewing this thread