Im repainting the car...

5.4 speedster

Banned
I could always just go with lazer red... I also like the lizstick saleen paint option. I know I want to stay with that kind of red color.

Any thoughts?

5.4 speedster

Banned
no lol.

Lizstick was used on a few pretty rare cars.I believe there is 1 or 2 99+s351's rolling around. It was also used on the s7
01.jpg

23.jpg

resizer.jpg

different lines and angles but same color

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I just found out Laser red (E9) is a three phase paint and is more expensive than Rio Red. Glad mine isn't laser! Getting my S281 spoiler painted.

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Bro that is the exact color i was talking about do u happen to know which exact color that is. And how hard and costly would it be to paint a red car that color.

My94GT

Established Member
I just found out Laser red (E9) is a three phase paint and is more expensive than Rio Red. Glad mine isn't laser! Getting my S281 spoiler painted.

they make a two stage formula for it too now though. its less expensive and when your painting the whole car over you rarely will find someone who notices the difference.

me personally id go for a brighter red then the saleen color.

My94GT

Established Member
Bro that is the exact color i was talking about do u happen to know which exact color that is. And how hard and costly would it be to paint a red car that color.

if your reffering to the orange above your post its tangello orange if i remember right and its by house of kolo i think the name is. its been a while since ive looked at one of their paint books.

look to spend over a grand in just paint materials and a good 3 to 5 in prep and paint labor itself. for a quality all over color change

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Bro what if my car is red already what is the closets and cheapest way to get to that type of orange or even a bright red/orange.

My94GT

Established Member
Bro what if my car is red already what is the closets and cheapest way to get to that type of orange or even a bright red/orange.

it will never be close, even with reds different color paint is just that. the cheapest way is to paint the outside and not do the door jambs or truck or anything.

i took my car completly apart to paint it. it was lazer red befor. the only short cut i took was flatblacking the trunk floor and engine bay. i may later go back and paint them if i keep the car

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
they make a two stage formula for it too now though. its less expensive and when your painting the whole car over you rarely will find someone who notices the difference.

Actually I had a buddy paint my 2 hood scoops a ferw months ago.
I gave him my old cracked scoop to match the paint with.
He used the 2 stage process and it wasn't even close to matching the OEM 3 stage paint.
Just an FYI:beer:

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
Just go look through color chips and compare, IN NATURAL SUNLIGHT, a laser red chip with other factory colors. Don't stick with just Ford colors because chrysler or GM or even Honda may have a color that is close enough in a base/clear that you won't have to do door jambs and firewall.

I just did my car this weekend and lucky enough for me; my car WAS black. So it was easy to leave the firewall and inside the trunk black and it doesn't look bad. Door jambs were easy enough since you have to remove most of the interior panels and trim just to get to the outside trim..lol

BTW, pics coming Thursday!

Marcosvt

Svt Power
Established Member
Well as long as the inside and trunk dont look that bad its okay i guezz but yea i want a diffrent color combo for sure.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Well as long as the inside and trunk dont look that bad its okay i guezz but yea i want a diffrent color combo for sure.

If you're going to do it... do it right please. Even if you go with with Lazer Red, you're still going to have tape lines/dry spray inside the jambs.
I've never seen another red that even comes close to the Lazer Red. And that E9 fades something fierce and doesn't like to match AT ALL when faded. We get Expeditions in all the time that we just shake our heads at because even after blending you just can't match that faded E9 that well.

If you change the color, jamb it out. I noticed just the other day when I was cruising in the Cobra, I looked back towards the backseat where the seat belts go through the sail panel and you can see factory chrome yellow paint back there. That would look like ASS if the car would have been repainted. Grab a friend, take all the panels off and tow it to the shop to get it done. Then grab the same friend and take your time and re-install and align up everything just so.

Me personally, mind you I'm picky when it comes to paintwork. I hate to see a car that someone went to the trouble of having a nice paint job laid down on, only to see tape lines inside the jambs. Or even worse the factory color on the backside of the fuel door! :eek:

If you keep the factory color.. alot of people don't notice the tape lines. You can even give them a little cut and buff and smooth them out. But if you're looking for a quality job that nobody is going to be able to pick apart. Save up a little bit more and get the jambs done.

Users who are viewing this thread