I'm stuck between two rocks and a hard place. I need advice.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
IMHO:
1) You’re not stuck anywhere, are you?
2) Don’t go into business with coworkers, it’s a recipe for disaster.
3) Don’t go in business for yourself just yet. Learn more about business.
4) Don’t rush into a decision.
5) I have a relative who’s about the same age, with a similar skill set. He got a job with the local school district as a Tech. But he does more than just wrench. He wrenches on buses, cars, trucks, mowers, snow removal equipment. Travels all over the small town doing stuff for the school district. He’s doing fantastic. Pretty good pay, great benefits.
So you may want to consider a school district, city maintenance job, university work, etc.
6) At some point, it’s extremely healthy for you to work for different businesses. Working for the same company for your whole life is a mistake.
7) Iowa is a beautiful state with wonderful people. People in Iowa have produced some of America’s greatest products.

Questions:
1) You don’t have to take any of these options right now, do you?
2) Are you married? Children? Mortgage? School payments? Car payments?
3) Where do you wanna be in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Etc.
4) What do you enjoy doing in your spare time (hobby/hobbies)?
5) When do you want to retire?
6) How’s your body holding up? Will it be good in 30 years?
1. No. Not stuck nor do I have to make an Immediate decision.
2. Married. No kids, or plans for any. Mortgage on a beautiful 3 acre acreage. Student loans and a truck that'll be paid off in a few months.
3. I have no major goals. I just want to live a comfortable life and enjoy my cars.
4. I'm a red blooded American. Guns. Cars. Hunting. Wildcard, coins.
5. As soon as possible.
6. Holding up well. I think I'll be fine in 30. anything can happen, thats the wildcard.

I do have a wildcard option that is a possibility. Im still close with my college professors, and they have mentioned the local community college has talked about opening entry level auto/diesel classes at their smaller branches. I'm not holding my breath, BUT it is a possibility.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
1. No. Not stuck nor do I have to make an Immediate decision.
2. Married. No kids, or plans for any. Mortgage on a beautiful 3 acre acreage. Student loans and a truck that'll be paid off in a few months.
3. I have no major goals. I just want to live a comfortable life and enjoy my cars.
4. I'm a red blooded American. Guns. Cars. Hunting. Wildcard, coins.
5. As soon as possible.
6. Holding up well. I think I'll be fine in 30. anything can happen, thats the wildcard.

I do have a wildcard option that is a possibility. Im still close with my college professors, and they have mentioned the local community college has talked about opening entry level auto/diesel classes at their smaller branches. I'm not holding my breath, BUT it is a possibility.

Congrats. You’ve made a lot of great decisions.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
@specracer
@1Kona_Venom
@Blown 89
@DSG2003Mach1
@Weather Man

Why are all of you against the partner/ownership option? Presuming this advice is based on personal experience, perhaps you can share.

He’s relatively young and his goals will change with time. He will not be able to wrench forever and enjoy retirement as an able bodied person.
Things change, moods change, egos change, and if you have a partner, it can go completely sideways, but your stuck in the business. I have seen it several times, with friends. About 2 years ago, our youngest son started a landscape biz (he was 17). He started with his friend as a "partner". The biz has expanded to the volume he needed to go legit (LLC taxes etc). I told him, do not partner. So he didnt, and set everything up on his own. Its only been a year, and already he is happy that he doent have a partner. Heck, even a marriage is a partnership, many work, many do not.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
UPS is union. If there mechanics also get union benefits then do that. I’m 29 and a union crane operator.

robvas

Established Member
My uncle in-law, worked for CAT for 25 years, retired, lasted a year before he started doing side jobs at home and now he's back at it full time, has more work than he can handle, and makes way more than he did at the old shop (he was making $40/hr when he retired).

So self-employed might be something to think about. His wife handles all the paperwork.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’d definitely consider work-life stress.

Working for UPS or Ford or at some shop can be stressful, but most of that stress should stay at work.

Meaning for the most part, once you are off of work, you are on you time.

Having a business that is a partnership seems like there would be more stress, more often. Perhaps that’s only true at the start, or maybe not true at all. But something I would consider.

On a side note, I wish my wife would read this thread in regards to going into business with family. She is developing (in my opinion) an epic cluster**** of unparalleled proportions by purchasing a home/farm, putting it in a trust with other family members, and then running multiple business opportunities out of it. Property is 90 minutes away, needs work, she is emotionally attached to the property, we have 3 young busy kids, she’s already overworked and I believe a masochist who keeps piling on more responsibility…

Sorry, will stop.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
I would suggest you buy the business and hire the friend.

I have been self employed for 10 years now and there is nothing better in this life than being your own boss. You'll work your ass to the bone, but at the end of every day, it feels sooooo different and better.

Sent from my SM-S908U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
All coworkers. All already employed together.

Adower

Established Member
Go to ups. It’s union and you’ll have a bunch of protections.

noco5.0

Established Member
I would think working for UPS could be beneficial in a lot of ways. If you like it great I'm sure they pay well and have good benefits. If you don't having experience in a major corporation looks good on a resume no matter what field.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
@specracer
@1Kona_Venom
@Blown 89
@DSG2003Mach1
@Weather Man

Why are all of you against the partner/ownership option? Presuming this advice is based on personal experience, perhaps you can share.

He’s relatively young and his goals will change with time. He will not be able to wrench forever and enjoy retirement as an able bodied person.

Because things change.
Because actions of partners leave you exposed.
Because you have better options available.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Your young enough to take chances, pick your poison. UPS does tend to take care of their employees, but yeah its a mega corporation. My cousin just celebrated his twenty year anniv with them as a driver. They have done pretty good by his accounts. Going to a dealership with a new owner could be great, could suck… the riskiest option is going in on that business with other techs. I would talk to a lawyer, your own before doing that … don’t share a lawyer with them if you go that route..or at least have your own to read and redline all the paperwork before you sign a damn thing.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
from my experience as a tech in the trade for 40ish years:

It sounds like we are pretty similar actually.

Good techs generally make poor managers, they put the work decisions ahead of the better business decisions. I went from the floor to management in the second largest truck leasing company. I found out during 11 years as a service manager that what they tell the folks on the floor and what is actually happening are often two different things. I won’t lie to my techs and to my knowledge never did. That led to some serious discussions with my bosses which in turn led me to leave on my own accord and I found work as a tech/Leadhand much more satisfying. I was headhunted by someone similar to what @13COBRA has offered you. Best decision I ever made. Way more money, much better work environment, I enjoyed that job and consider it the best job of my career. I retried from that company after 7 years because of health reasons not related to work.

Never go into business with people that you know on a personal level, friends and money do not mix well.

At one point in my career I interviewed with UPS, I declined the position, not saying you should.

In your position, I would at least have a conversation with @13COBRA.

Users who are viewing this thread