I'm thinkin' about buying a car

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
...a project car.

I have been looking for an old fox body sedan or hatchback for several months now, and the majority of them are priced way too high imo....5-7k for a 100k+ car thats in good shape. So i think i might start a project car.

I found a 89 sedan that is a 4 cyl car with an auto. The car looks to be in good shape as far as the interior and exterior. The only exterior problems i seen were some surface rust on the hood and roof, and a few spots on some of the other body panels. The front driver side fender needs to be replaced as well. Other than the fender being warped, there are NO dents anywhere on this car. All the windows are in tact and none are cracked or chipped. the trim around the windows is in tact but they are dryed out and look to be replaced.

The seats have no rips burns or anything like that, that i could see. The dash isnt cracked. And of course the ash tray lid is broken:rollseyes.

I couldnt talk to the owner because he wasnt there at the time. I was told he said it needed about 300 bucks to get it back on the road....which i dont plan on driving it until i get a new 302 in it.

Again this will be a project car that will be ongoing for about a year or so, until its finished. I will be talking to the guy sometime this week to see what all needs to be done to it, and to get all the details on it.

But he is asking 800 bucks for it...is it worth it? What things would i need to make the 5 liter swap, besides the engine? I think i can talk him down some if i need to. Its been sitting in his yard for at least 3 weeks now, and only a couple other people have stopped to look at it, from what i was told.

what do you guys think? worth it or not?

thanks

96 chris

Established Member
$800 isn't that much is it? Like you said you're getting a good interior/exterior car.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
$800 isn't that much is it? Like you said you're getting a good interior/exterior car.

I guess what i am asking is, what it be cheaper to buy this car, paint it, do the engine swap, and whatever else needs to be done? or should i just look for a 5 liter car that is in good shape, and pay 5k or more for it.

I know its gonna take time and money to get it done...I have the time but how much money, if one had to guess? I can have the car painted really cheap, i have access to a gun/compressor, and i have family members that can paint. I will be doing all the work myself in other words.

thanks guys

91GT

Established Member
To swap a 5.0 in a 4cyl, you need to do:
Brakes, rear diff, trans, springs, sway bars, fuel lines, wiring, dash, motor mounts etc.

It can be done, but it is a lot more work then most people think

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Brakes, rear diff, trans, springs, sway bars, fuel lines, wiring, dash, motor mounts etc.

Yea it is and when its all said and done you spent them same amount of money a V8 car would have cost you, add to that all the busted knuckles and hard work you put into it. :kaboom:

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

X2, I'd keep looking for a true 5.0 car.

Users who are viewing this thread