Immobilizer failure - anyone have his happen to them?? luckily at home

XP900

Established Member
Same day my clutch slipped it was preceded by my car not wanting to start. Looked at the dash and saw the lock symbol when turning the key to start. I have 6 keys.,,2 I think only open doors but 4 used to start the car. I tried all 4 and they failed so it wasn't a battery issue. Checked car battery - 12.65 volts. Used OBD reader and no DTCs, reset everything too. It knew the VIN # still so at least I had a chance that the tune etc was still in there and my module may be okay.... used a CPR129 I bought for my Crossfire and had it scan the car. Gave me some additional tests to run so I ran the seat belt and brake tests, car made a bunch of noises...tests okay tried keys...no luck. I then ran the PCM tests...sounded like it turn on fuel pumps and some other things....gave me a communication failure but it seemed to complete the testing. Tried the keys again......CAR STARTED....drove it and everything seemed to be okay...tune still there...

So I have no idea WTF happened to this car but now I will have to keep the CPR129 in the car just in case. If I was on a trip I would have been screwed... May rerun all the CPR129 tests and see if the comm error comes up again and look into it.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
5 Symptoms of a Bad Engine Immobilizer in Your Car

1) Doors Won't Unlock.
2) Doors Won't Lock.
3) Alarm Won't Function.
4) Engine Won't Start.
5) Bad Wiring.

Sounds like your immobilizer is going bad.If it happens again till you fix it Disconnect the battery for one minute and then reconnect the battery this should reset the immobilizer system.

Last edited:

XP900

Established Member
5 Symptoms of a Bad Engine Immobilizer in Your Car

1) Doors Won't Unlock.
2) Doors Won't Lock.
3) Alarm Won't Function.
4) Engine Won't Start.
5) Bad Wiring.

Sounds like your immobilizer is going bad.If it happens again till you fix it Disconnect the battery for one minute and then reconnect the battery this should reset the immobilizer system.

* I know this maybe highly unlikely but your batteries in the key fobs may need to be replaced.

Thanks. I tried it today and it took to turns to get the car started so it still seems to be screwed up. So I can't trust it on a trip next week.

I did some searches and I'm going to replace all the batteries in the keyfobs, disconnect the car battery for an hour, and maybe reprogram the car with my keyfobs.

If it still acts up I replace the immobilizer,,,probably some $$.

XP900

Established Member
I killed the battery power for a few hours and reprogrammed all four keys. All keys working and no weird issues yet. It is happens again I am replacing the immobilizer but one thread said I would have to have Ford program it ...$$$

XP900

Established Member
Had the issue again just before I put the car in the garage for the winter. Keys not working with the dash lock light flashing quickly. Tried backup keys - no luck.

I hooked up a tester to the OBD and before doing anything I tried the key again and it worked...seems just plugging into the OBD did something.

Anyway I took out the old immobilzier (looked okay with no cable or pin issues) and ordered a new one. Hopefully it resolves the issue but I doubt it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Man, that sucks! At least you can work around the issue when it happens, but still, it sure kills plans for longer drives. Let us know after the new immobilizer is installed if it seems okay after a couple of weeks driving. Sounds like that might not be until Spring unless you randomly start the car while it's in storage.

XP900

Established Member
Yeh it really sucks since I need to be worried too about stalling it accidentally but that hasn't happened for a long time.

Received new transceiver which used a different part number. Was worried but it worked with no issues...simple plug in and that's it. I plan to test it every now and then in the garage over the winter but that's not the same as road testing...I have my doubts that is really fixed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I figured you'd be doing periodic starting while it's in storage. Well, hoping that your immobilizer woes are over!

Users who are viewing this thread