Impeding traffic tickets?

jk03cobra

Established Member
Just have a question out based on an experience of mine a few days ago. I was driving down the highway in a 65 MPH zone. A state patrol car pulled out from the shoulder back onto the highway, I assume he had just finished a traffic stop. I was behind him and we both switched to the left lane about the same time to pass some slower cars in the right lane. Well, as we got into the left lane there was a car there doing about 50MPH (remember this is a 65MPH highway) and she would not move over to the right. The trooper slowed as did I, waiting for her to move.

Well, eventually the right lane cleared so I moved over. Just as I did he threw the lights on and pulled this woman over. I couldn't have been happier. I'm assuming he probably wrote her a ticket for impeding traffic. I'm just curious how often any of you guys write tickets for this, people driving below the speed limit in the passing lane? Seems to be a common occurance but it doesn't seem to be something that is ticketed very often. Am I correct in assuming this? If so, what is the reasoning? Thanks.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Impeding traffic is equally as dangerous as speeding beyond the flow of normal traffic. As if often causes other drivers to try and jockey for a position around the much slower driver and that causes potential for harm.

When I was with the Sheriff's Dept (I am Federal now and cant write traffic tickets) I would occasionally run into someone that was impeding traffic. Most of the time it was an elderly person that having a problem. But if the situation warranted they would be issued a summons. Speeding is just more of an occurance.

jk03cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I"m sure speeding is much more common but I was just interested to know if any officers "overlook" the impeders more than the speeders? I do agree with what you're saying though, impeding traffic does seem to be very dangerous at times, especially in very heavy traffic. Thanks for the info. Any other officers have any opinions on the matter?

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
jk03cobra said:
Yeah, I"m sure speeding is much more common but I was just interested to know if any officers "overlook" the impeders more than the speeders? I do agree with what you're saying though, impeding traffic does seem to be very dangerous at times, especially in very heavy traffic. Thanks for the info. Any other officers have any opinions on the matter?

I have pulled over a few for impeading traffic but have never actually issued a citation for it. As for overlooking it, not at all. This is a huge indicator that a person is intoxicated or about to fall asleep. I have pulled over people who were going 10-15 even 20 under the limit and the majority of them were just tired. It's one of those stops that when you are done you can honestly say "I just saved someones life".

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I agree with Adam, in many situations impeding the normal flow of traffic is as dangerous as speeding can be and certainly leads to more "road rage" incidents.

I don't think we overlook them, however as you know many times when we enter the flow of traffic, most drivers drop their speed and/or switch lanes so many times we don't witness the violation long enough to be able to cite for it.

sharkall2003

Your everyday white pimp
Established Member
I am not trying to be prejudice or anything but it seems like a lot of Mexicans and elderly people go way under the speed limit in green bay. That's just me though. Usually I see them going 5 under or so which is incredibly slow especially since doing the speed limit (which I do) sucks and is hard enough to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread