IMPORTANT INFO - Regarding Oil on our engines thru pcv

alexr40

Established Member
I have been looking at my engine and looking at ALL modifications to fix the oil on the plenum and throttle body.

I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING

Every solution, protects the plenum and throttle body from getting oil.

but there's a T, before the plenum.

Were does that Hose goes? down to the intercooler?
it should go to somewere.. it does go to somewere. i dont know were but?
if so?

even with an oil separator or a dime in the upper plenum hose connection, that hose will still get OIL!!!

I have been reading a couple of days looking for the right solution but i dont find anything that solves fully this.

!! I am more concerned of getting oil out of the intercooler, rather than in the boot or Tb. !!

Please Advise

Missouri03L

Established Member
The connections off the T-connector on the passenger side PCV hose goes down to the bottom of the intake manifold and up to the upper plenum.
I understand you wanting to keep the oil out of the intercooler, I just recently pulled mine out and cleaned it throughly with Brakleen, I couldn't believe all the oil in the t/b, upper plenum, s/c and i/c....
After all that work, it makes you want a fix right away and not half to hassle with it ever again.
From what I understand, you don't want to completely block off the PCV system on the passenger side so thats why that connection is not blocked to the lower intake, and if you want to keep oil out of that lower intake you can put an oil/air seperator between that T-connection and the lower intake.

After all i've researched, I decided just to do the dime mod with the EV-98-B PCV valve and then re-check for oil after driving around for several thousand miles, if I find more oil then i'll research some more on the subject.

Hope this helps!

-Jason

There is a lot of ways to solve it:
First the left side PCV splits and goes to the upper intake manifold and lower intake manifold underneath the intercooler.

We don't really care about oil entering the lower intake because it doesn't cake the intercooler. All it really does is get into the combustion chamber and burn. Of course burning motor oil has several disadvantages and basically no advantages.

The simple fix which is what I did is put a dime in the upper PCV line, and a true one way valve. PN above. If that doesn't do it, put a seperator in the lower line and one on the drivers side. That's all you can really do.

speeder

Established Member
The best way to fix the oil problem is to add an oil seperator, plug the hose that comes from the lower intake and T`s into the pcv line, remove the dime, it doesn`t work. (ive tried it), on the driver side valve cover remove the plastic hose that goes from the valve cover to the lower ruber intake hose, plug the hole in the with something and add a breather to the valve cover. ive had this set up on my truck over 10,000 miles and I have no oil at all in my intake.

Wehnes

Established Member
What about the breather caps? Do they work well or would I still need to jack around with pcv valves and spare change?

Breathers are worthless. They are more of a tuning nightmare than anything. You get more lean SES codes than ever with one.

It's all opinion but i've been there, done that, and advise to stay away from them. They put unmetered air back into the engine.

speeder

Established Member
Breather caps are not worthless, if you install them correctly they will not let unmetered air into the engine and won`t cause any lean SES codes, I have 2 on my truck (installed correctly) I have never got a lean code or SES light, my truck has been on the dyno several times and my air fuel ratio has always been 11.7, they do work.

Wehnes

Established Member
Call me stupid.. But how to you incorrectly install them? Don't they just screw in and your done?

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
I'm new to this. What problems could we experience with the oil? Which oil we talking about? Is this a problem on all trucks or just some and how do we fix it? What is the best way to check for this problem...etc?

Thanks,

Helix

Tex Arcana

Established Member
another simple solution: a looped line. If you add a bit of extra line, about 10"-12", and put it in a full 360-deg loop, it wil trap any oil in the bottom of the loop, 'til it fills. So, put a tee at the bottom of the loop, and drop that into a small, clear resevior, that you can get to and change.

Important part: the loop MUST BE VERTICAL for this to work. And the collection bottle must be sealed as well. THere are bottles available that have caps with barbed nipples on them, and if you can't find 'em, you can make one with brass nipples on the clear PET bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread