Impressions on Borla Stinger mated with Bassani catted x-pipe

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue Poison
Poisonous,

Are you on my butt again? See, I told ya....you should of applied for that moderator position so you can have me banned.....hehe

Nah, Don is cool.....Besides he likes talking about exhausts like I do.....he even told me it's cool to ask questions....so there!

BANNED !!!!

Ahhhh. Wish i can do it as good as LL :D

At least he replies to ya :bored:
Stick with the AM Thunder. Im sure an X-pipe will bring a louder sound to it ;-)

Oh i should put Donald on my hit list. :burn:

Redwing

Established Member
Hi guys. Rick Erdman from Amazon PERSONNALLY installed my Borla Stinger Catbacks with 4" tips at the Modular Shootout last week in Ohio. I left the stock H-pipe and cats on. At idle, it is maybe 5% louder than pure stock, with an old fashioned 50's kind of deep bass rumble. It can only be described as music. At part throttle, it sounds pretty good, except for a pronounced drone between 1900 ands 2400 RPM. Over that it smoothes out and is relatively quiet. During mild or moderate acceleration, the sound is fairly deep, and not really "blatty". Except for the drone, I really like it, because I wanted that old-style rumble. The drone is not even that bad, and it's quite manageble. Just don't cruise between those RPM's. On the highway it's about 70 MPH. So, either go faster, slower, or downshift to 5th.
Now then, when you put the hammer down, it sounds like a tenor banshee. Very blatty, very lound, but the drone dissapears.
After 3 or 4 days, I though to myself that I was glad that I still had the stock pipes and might re-install them, but after 10 days, I've gotten used to them, and they seem to have mellowed out a bit. I have changed my style of driving a bit (especially near a police car) in order to keep the sound down.
I gotta tell ya, there are two things about the Borla that I love:
1] when you start up, it gives such a deep throaty burst of sound that it sends shivers up my spine. You know in that second you're driving something VERY special. Regardless of any other concerns, that startup is worth EVERY penny.
2] I simply cannot get over the thumbs up response I am getting from everyone. This includes a guy in a Jag, another in a Grand Prix, one lady in a Mercedes SL 500, and believe it or not some distinguished fellow in a Bentley. And I got plenty of positive looks and comments before.

The ultimate ego builder happened on Sunday. I was on a main street in the 'burbs, but it was deserted. Afternoon, about 2PM. A yellow Z-06 C-5 vette pulled up next to me at a light. Started reving his engine. So did I. On hearing my pipes, the driver rolled down his window, called out "Is that the supercharged Cobra?" "Yup" I said. "nice colour" he said. He let his car down to a normal idle, and then called out "maybe I'll pass"!!! we motored sedately away from the light, a frwon on his face and a big grin on mine.
By the way, just so you know my wife of nearly 30 years bought both the pipes and the Classic light bar for me at the shootout!! I think I'll keep her.

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Hey Poisonous...what did I ever do to you dude? I reply!!!! I reply DAMMIT!!!! :beer:

Black Beast 1

Established Member
I wish I could give a thumbs up on the Stinger but its just too loud with an off-road X. I'm affraid that once I re-install my stock H it will still be to to damn loud. The craftsmanship is excellent, but did I mention that its tooo damn loud.

Mod purchases are certainly trial and error. Currently I'm satisfied with maybe 30% of my mod selections. It's just such a pain in the butt to sell and re-purchase.

Blades

Established Member
Holy shit dude.. Who gives a shit bout the SOTP and the sound and this and that. Wheres your chip!!!?!?!??!

2003 Mustang Cobra Satin Silver Metallic

Borla Stinger cat-back(Amazon Racing)
Bassani catted x-pipe
BilletFlow Throttle body(Amazon Racing)
Amazon Racing CAI with S&B filter
2.93 interchangable pulley(Amazon Racing)
BilletFlow Idler pullies **bling bling**
NGK TR-6 plugs
Gates belt

458.0 rwhp SAE
453.1 rwtqe SAE(before catted x-pipe)

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I am selling my regular Borla catback with 4" tips and replacing it with the Stinger system. I have already sold my regular system and the Stinger is at my house waiting to be installed. I have the Bassani x-pipe with the cats on. When I first had the x-pipe installed I went w/o the cats and I could not handle how loud it was. I also got a weird rattle from the x-pipe or under the car when I got on it WOT. So I had to put the cats back. It was mean crusing around but on the highway was rough with the drone. Now after reading this post I am a little worried about being too loud again. We will see and I will keep you posted.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
This thread is worthless without a sound clip. Get me one so I can post it on MustanExhaust.com.

Chop, chop!

-Nino

Users who are viewing this thread