IMRC Troubles...Help :(

Dj97SN95

Established Member
Less than a month ago, I went through the process of taking apart the intake and cleaning out the IMRC plates due to a check engine light with the p1518 code. The plates were extremely gunked up so I assumed that was the problem. After I was done, the code disappeared and the car ran like a dream. Well, on my way home from work tonight, the CEL came back on for the same code. Words cannot describe how irritating this is. If it is not the plates themselves being gunked up causing it to stick open, it can be only two other things that I am aware of: the cables going to the plates or that actuator box under the intake. My question: Is there an easy way to test these two things to see if they are working WITHOUT taking apart the intake again?!?! This car is my daily driver and with work and school combined I honestly cant sacrifice multiple days trying to take apart everything again, and I REALLY don't want to replace that box if I don't have to because I know its going to set me back like $400 :uh oh:. Any help/suggestions would be awesome. :shrug:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Rev the engine to at least 3250 RPM and watch the IMRC cable sheathes at the top back of engine 'jump' as the controller pulls the flexible cable within. I had to replace mine about 10 years ago so I did the IMRC cleaning at the same time. They didn't jump. All has been just fine since.

cbrown9064

Established Member
I was able to get my hand on each imrc where the cable attaches. I revved the motor past 3250 and felt for the actuator to pull them open.... Easy test.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I was able to get my hand on each imrc where the cable attaches. I revved the motor past 3250 and felt for the actuator to pull them open.... Easy test.

And I assume that they worked, and you are a happy camper.

I can tell when mine open, especially in first gear with a cold engine. There's a bit of a hesitation after mashing the 'go' pedal, followed by the sound of a howling S/C, the screaming of the engine, and screeching of tires. Which all means, yup they're working just fine!

Just don't get your fingers pinched back there because when they do open it's all or nothing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread