imrc's + shortrunner

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Anyone running a short runner with the imrc not deleted (opening at stock rpm or otherwise optimized)? Pros / cons? I was curious if they might compliment each other.

Opinions, dyno sheets, flamming welcome lol.

Mike

Last edited:

MLS

Established Member
Ive wondered, and if I had the money I would have tried it just for fun by now.

luke87gt

Established Member
I too am looking for the same information as I am hoping to perform these mods on my 96 Cobra.

Before I spend the money, I am interested in seeing dyno charts, pics, supporting information, etc. Basically anything to learn a little more about the benefits/compromises that I would be making.

Thanks for the help!

:rockon:

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I know the shortrunner will give gains, and have seen lots of sheets and info. Mark and Todd do great work, pm them if you want specifics on their products. The only thing I've ever seen is IMRC delete with SRI. I understand a lot of guys have problems with them but mine still work great (knocks on wood). I just thought I might not lose any down low and still get the gains up top.....

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
In MM&FF mag, Remember the Titans, Part 1. They have a before and after engine dyno of deletes and a short runner intake. I seemed to have lost it somewhere, i think out Milford way! hahaha
But gains were as high as 7hp up top, with some lost with the deletes....Mysicman should be able to fill you in with the rest of the info.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
In MM&FF mag, Remember the Titans, Part 1. They have a before and after engine dyno of deletes and a short runner intake. I seemed to have lost it somewhere, i think out Milford way! hahaha
But gains were as high as 7hp up top, with some lost with the deletes....Mysicman should be able to fill you in with the rest of the info.

it has been shown that deletes will give you a few horsepower up top not the other way around, and with a shortrunner you also get more horsepower but can lose some in the bottom end if you dont raise the floor of the plenum. the benefit if the deletes is that it eliminates the problems many have with teh deletes sticking and clogging up, thus throwing codes.

Why are there so many threads on this shit when the evidence is clear, how many dyno graphs does NA SVT have to post before everyone gets it.

Theres like three shortrunner threads going right now, I dont get it.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
The point of my thread was to see if anyone was running an sri without doing deletes. I know full well the evidence supporting the use of a short runner and plan on doing that next. I was curious if, by keeping the imrc's, it would benefit by minimizing the slight loss down low.

The answer to my question is that by keeping them you will not see the full potential up top when doing the shortrunner (Thanks Todd :beer:)

Bmeagher

Seriously Northern
Established Member
it has been shown that deletes will give you a few horsepower up top not the other way around, and with a shortrunner you also get more horsepower but can lose some in the bottom end if you dont raise the floor of the plenum. the benefit if the deletes is that it eliminates the problems many have with teh deletes sticking and clogging up, thus throwing codes.

Why are there so many threads on this shit when the evidence is clear, how many dyno graphs does NA SVT have to post before everyone gets it.

I though this was the whole idea of forums, to learn things other people know. Chill...............

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

You have to admit, this is a little bit of a different topic from the typical short-runner thread. And that the search function here is complete rubbish unless you're using the perfect search string.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
You have to admit, this is a little bit of a different topic from the typical short-runner thread. And that the search function here is complete rubbish unless you're using the perfect search string.

Yup, he asked a question that wasn't the typical: "Are short runners good?" or "How much hp can I gain with a short runner?" etc...

OP, I would actually like to run a short runner while cleaning and keeping the imrc's.. I'd like to keep the torque down low and you'd still gain plenty of power up top with the short runner. It'd be interesting to see a car with a short runner manifold and imrc's dyno their car, then see them do an imrc delete and re dyno.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Yup, he asked a question that wasn't the typical: "Are short runners good?" or "How much hp can I gain with a short runner?" etc...

OP, I would actually like to run a short runner while cleaning and keeping the imrc's.. I'd like to keep the torque down low and you'd still gain plenty of power up top with the short runner. It'd be interesting to see a car with a short runner manifold and imrc's dyno their car, then see them do an imrc delete and re dyno.

no the point is if you research shortrunner does and the IMRC, you would have to come to the conclusion that by keeping the lower end torque you sacrifice some of the top end that you would get in the higher RPM's that a shortrunner provides. Search around the forum and you can figure that out, point is we have three threads on shortrunners on the forum going on right now. this is turning into the "what gears shoud I get question" and "how hard is it to get the 03-04 eaton to bolt on"

And a little research provided by one of the three threads recently provided led me to this:

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/ssrcar3.html

test one is the baseline and test two is the port matched functional IMRC's and a shortrunner

any by looking at all the other dyno runs it shows you lose several peak horsepower when running IMRC's.

Last edited:

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Steve,

It took you way less time (with your mad search skills) to post a link that actually pertained to my question than it did to formulate your rant. Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for :beer:.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread