In search of OEM radiator petcock drain

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED
I have been looking for the oem radiator petcock drain for my 2003 Cobra. My car has a aftermarket plug that needs replacement. Does anyone have the part number and a picture so I can see what I’m looking for? I tried looking at the Ford dealers sites but all that comes up is for mustang not cobra. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Just did this myself, ordered 2 from my ford dealer. Took 2 or 3 days to get in. The parts lady even said "wow haven't seen this packing in awhile!"

Attachments

• 20201001_180400_compress20.jpg
    20201001_180400_compress20.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 110

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
So that’s the correct part number ? I ordered one at my local ford dealer and he couldn’t find the right one. We ordered what he thought was the correct one but no it wouldn’t fit. Thanks I’ll try that number.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
It fit in my Cobra. I just did a coolant flush, and it's the original radiator. I stripped the threads putting it back in, but the cracking around the rubber backing also was a concern. So I called Evergreen Ford local to me, he had to order it in. I've had the car since 2006. 13,000 miles on it now

Last edited:

efnfast

Established Member
Buy the Dorman part #; it works fine and its in stock at all the autozones/etc.

killer428

Sonic Blue Terminator
Established Member
Thank you everyone I ended up ordering from Ford. I thought the one I had was Dorman’s but it is the original plug. Looks identical

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
The thread on mine is stripped also. How do you swap the new one in?
Drain coolant from radiator via thermostat housing, then Unscrew the draincock all the way, then pull a little. It will be connected to the inside of the rad with a reverse spade. Squeeze with a pair of needle nose, pull out the draincock. Push in new one in, and screw it in. You'll need to do a burp of the cooling system. Adding the coolant you will lose with the drain out.

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure I’d do anything other than remove and replace the old one. Don’t see a need to drain at the Tstat housing.

I’d still do a burp of course.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure I’d do anything other than remove and replace the old one. Don’t see a need to drain at the Tstat housing.

I’d still do a burp of course.

You'll have to contend with coolant shooting out the draincock, while trying to fiddle with getting the old one out and put a new one in. It will be messy, and coolant will spray all over your tools and hands. But it could be done without draining radiator, I guess. At the thermostat, it can be manipulated to only let a stream out. Then your good to pull the drain, with less hassle.

MG0h3

Established Member
You'll have to contend with coolant shooting out the draincock, while trying to fiddle with getting the old one out and put a new one in. It will be messy, and coolant will spray all over your tools and hands. But it could be done without draining radiator, I guess. At the thermostat, it can be manipulated to only let a stream out. Then your good to pull the drain, with less hassle.

Ya I totally hear you. You’d def get wet! But I still think it would minimize the workload a tad.

But why is this guy just wanting to replace the petcock anyways? Unless it’s leaking, just wait until you’re doing something that requires you to drain the coolant.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

efnfast

Established Member
I wouldn't open up the t-stat housing unless you have to - it does get out more coolant, and that petcock is a stupid SOB as it will spray everywhere, but the housing is very fragile and can crack easily. That was no fun finding an out-of-stock-everywhere replacement.

If you're just replacing the petcock (although I'd also burp the system too) you should be able to open the petcock and only have a small stream of liquid if you leave the coolant tank pressure cap on. If you remove the cap then expect SPLOOOGE

Users who are viewing this thread