Increase blower RPM for altitude?

BadAzztt

Established Member
I am considering adding a larger pulley to my combination in order to make up for boost loss at altitude. I am looking for opinions. I know the standard call of max pulley combos are 2.8/4lb or 2.93/6lb. I am considering going with a 2.8/8lb. Now before I get flamed hear me out...

Let's examine a Turbo combination for a second. Turbo cars do not lose boost at altitude, the wastegate controls the boost and the turbo is not fixed to the motor so it simply spins faster to make up for the thinner air. Now our supercharged engines can not do this because the ratio is fixed. While i realize this may put the blower out of efficiency range it is really no greater stress on the motor. If a 2.8/4 lb sees 16-17 at sea level but only sees 12-13 up here, than changing to a 8lb lower up here should put the motor right back where it was at sea level (or close to). Thoughts?....

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
you are still spinning the blower more to make up for lost pressure, pushing the blower farther and farther out of its efficiency range.

Turbo's suffer the same fate, true the wastegate does not open until the turbo is pushing the desired boost limit, but the turbo will have to work harder in higher altitudes, pushing it farther out of its efficiency range if its not correctly sized for higher elevation conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread