Increase octane?

440sprint

Established Member
I read that Torco (MMT) may now be the preferred octane booster. I have a left over 3 gals of Mechanics Brand octane booster (57% tolulene, 43% ethanol, so I've read) from the high compression days about 20 yrs ago, stored in it's original 5 gal plastic barrel & kept sealed.

It worked great back then but how about now? It may even be too old! Any ideas out there?

Also, how much can I raise the 91 octane CA gas before it does no good without a tune?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

farmboy90

Established Member
I don't think raising it much above 93 octane will have much of an affect without a tune.

And I also don't think your old booster would be any good. Torco only has about a 2 year shelf life when left unopened. I can't imagine your booster would be much different.

For what it is worth, I run a half bottle of torco with each fill-up of 91 octane.

railroad

Established Member
I would not run the old Octane Boost, not worth the problems you might encounter. I used Torco in my boosted 99 Cobra and got a fuzz build up on the spark plugs. I can only assume the complete combustion chamber looked the same. Even though, it must be a good product, a lot of people run it. I have a local shop that retails VP racing fuel. They have a 100 different formulas. I bought some 96 Octane for my 60's cars and some 106 for the Cobra and possibly the Shelby. It comes in 5 gal steel containers which I feel good about. I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and buy additional fuel funnels for the Shelby. I do not want to put a used one back in the trunk and get the gasoline smell in the car. I guess I could use a zip lock bag. Anyway, hope this adds to your options for octane boost.

Users who are viewing this thread