Individual Throttle Bodies

newossab

Established Member
What do you guys think of ITBs, pros and cons? I was reading Sean Hylands book "Max Performance 4.6" and came across ITB. I plan on staying NA for my car just wondering if this would be something to consider. I definitively think it would be unique and would look sick, but how does it perform? Is there a kit for B headed motor? I know Kinsler makes them for 4.6 but not alot of info on there website. I googled it and searched on here and couldn't really find any info. Just some food for thought...Thanks for any info in advance.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Pros: None that I can think of other than "being different".
Cons: More than I feel like typing.

If I recall correctly, even in the book it is mentioned that this would be for someone wanting a "unique look"....meaning there's not too much of a positive side to it in my book.

As to SHM, my advice is to stay away.....FAR AWAY.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
There is a company in aussie that makes them for the 4V. They work great for throttle response and WOT. But it can be tricky on the low end. Easier in a light car. See if i can find that company

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
cool look but damn pricey, and you would need to purchase special air cleaners as well I am sure.

amorrow

Established Member
Pros: Most significant are throttle response and torque at lower rpm

Cons: Most significant are cost and tuning challenges

amorrow

Established Member
Regarding filters, it's certainly a good idea to run them on a street car, especially one where you don't anticipate frequent engine overhauls and don't feel like changing your oil every few hundred miles. I ran open Webers on one of my cars, but sure wouldn't dare if I drove the car often or in inclement weather or dirty/dusty conditions at all.

newossab

Established Member
Damn..I didn't realize ITB were that pricey. When kind of power numbers are possible with ITBs? Doesn't seem like the cost to power ratio would be very good. Amorrow are you saying you would or wouldn't use on a street car? My car doesn't leave the garage unless its a sunny beautiful day.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I contemplated webers on mine.. But even on a car built with no concern for street driving, I couldn't justify it. If you have the $4k to swing, it would be sick and does make power.. Especially if done with the right motor to go with it.

amorrow

Established Member
Damn..I didn't realize ITB were that pricey. When kind of power numbers are possible with ITBs? Doesn't seem like the cost to power ratio would be very good. Amorrow are you saying you would or wouldn't use on a street car? My car doesn't leave the garage unless its a sunny beautiful day.

Peak power should be comparable to a traditional plenum manifold, with the benefit being lower in the rpm band. So you're right, compared to forced induction, etc...you won't justify them with a cost to [peak] power ratio. Rationalizing these, you can justify them with the wow factor, though....and I wouldn't blame you if you bought them for just that...they're cool and hardly anyone runs them, which makes them even cooler.

I see nothing wrong with using them on a street car used as you describe, as long as you don't mind the cost and have patience. If these are anything like anything I'm aware of sitting on an individual-runner manifold, tuning won't be as easy as more traditional setups...so just keep that in mind. Do your research, and get input from those who've actually run whatever setup you're looking at before you expect an easy, trouble-free install. Personally I don't know anyone running the fuel injected IR setups. If you don't get a lot of feedback on the forums, give Roush and Inglese a call....Inglese sells kits and Roush installs these on some of their crate engines.

MLS

Established Member
You could put them in a box like Ferrari and you could just run a huge filter over the top; hell you could even us a maf like that. For that kind of money I would just buy a supercharger (or cams, headers, and c head swap.)

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
remember a guy doing that on a Ford Probe V6 back in the day.. sounded and looked amazing, but he had been struggling with it for years.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Not to threadjack but why do you say that? I have no opinion but I am curious.

Sorry, I just saw this.

Long story short. Old motor when down in March 2005, days before I deployed to Afghanistan. Ordered stroker kit, gaskets, clutch, etc from them in early June.

By September I still hadn't received anything. When I went on R&R in September I relentlessly tried calling them and got through finally. I was told that my order had been delayed because the Cometic gaskets were on backorder. After asking if I could just use the Ford gaskets to get the kit shipped, and just refund the difference, they agreed.

Parts start arriving in October, and I'm checking them off of my list....but no piston rings or rod bearings IIRC. In addition, it looked like someone had torn into the clutch kit to take out the alignment tool.

I keep sending out messages, etc and get no response. After I finally get back from deployment I am relentless to get my stuff. I was slated to move from Germany in 90 days, but I still had a motor without all of the parts.

I had to deal with an guy named Dewayne at SHM who treated me like I was trying to steal parts from them. Wouldn't answer the phone. A funny thing was that I had my wife call and ask for him and I was put RIGHT through.

I documented each days events when dealing with SHM on corral, but the thread mysteriously disappeared.... It caused me to loose a lot of faith for that site. There was no name calling in the thread, or any incendiary remarks, just the facts....

In the end, I finally received all of my parts and my money from the refunded parts, but it involved a lot of time, effort, and undue stress. It took almost 1 year to the day to receive everything. The worst part was when it was implied that they had shipped the parts and I was just trying to rip them off.

I have steered many folks away from them over the past 7 years.....and I'll keep doing so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread