Inexpensive Clutch ?

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Hey guys, I have decided I've pushed my luck on my stock clutch long enough. It has 33,000 miles on it and 13,000 of them are with the Roush TVS trapping over 130 on MULTIPLE track passes. I can't believe how it has held up!!!

It's not slipping yet, but I don't expect it to last forever.

I have pretty much decided on the spec stage 3+ for the price and good reviews. I am NOT going to drop $1200-1400 on a McLeod so please don't turn this into one of those threads.

My questions are:

1. Do I HAVE TO replace the flywheel? If I do I will just buy another stock flywheel through Autonation(tousley) for like $120. I know obviously it's always a GOOD IDEA to do the flywheel, but if people are having luck without replacing it, then I'm gonna give it a shot.

2. Do I HAVE TO replace the TOB?

3. Is American Muscle the cheapest place for these things or is there someone else that carries them cheaper? (you can PM this answer if you want, so we don't start a vendor bashing/praising thread)

I know a lot of people are going to start the "while you're in there, you might as well.....etc". I don't have the extra cash for the extra stuff right now, so I will do those down the road (ie- clutch line).

Thanks for all the help guys!

Kcobra99

Established Member
1. I would either get a new flywheel or drop the old one off at a machine shop to get it resurfaced for half the price. No sense glazing a new clutch.

2. If you do, get a ford one, any of the ones I've dealt with that weren't ford replacements made noise within a few thousand miles. Anyone who didn't replace their TOB usually had to do it shortly after the new clutch went in. In short, if you only want to remove the transmission once... You make the call.

draxxus131

Established Member
You cannot resurface the stock flywheel, it is considered a throw away part. Many vendors urge you not to re-use the stock flywheel. The TOB should be replaced as well, it takes as much if not more abuse than the clutch.

you could always purchase the boss 302 flywheel, it is a bit lighter, and you can use a single disc with it still.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Does anybody know how many bolts hold the stock clutch to the flywheel?

I called SPEC because on their site and at American Muscle it looked like their clutch would bolt to the stock flywheel, and on LETHAL's site it says "requires use of spec flywheel". The guy that answered the phone read their site and said "I don't see why it wouldn't work with the stock flywheel", and that answer bothered me, as it sounded like a guess. He then put me on hold and when he came back he said that it would fit because the stock pressure plate uses a 9 bolt pattern, and that's what theirs use.

Does anybody know for a fact that our stock pressure plate uses the 9 bolt pattern?

Thanks

Torchy

Established Member
OP reusing your stock flywheel is NOT an option. Like there is no "well you might be able to get by..." I would tell you to resurface your stock one if your trying to keep it cheap but sounds like you can't do that to the stocker so you have to get a new one.

If your clutch isn't failing then why are you even replacing it? Are you smelling it after WOT? If not don't replace it at all if $$$ is tight.

Also isn't the whole boss set up cheaper than anything aftermarket? I could be wrong.

Interesting story on my stock clutch. Bought my 13 new. Did plenty of NA runs and it became a full bolt on car. Well added twins at 6000 miles. Took it to the track at 8000 miles and after my very first run I smeled clutch. Let it cool and ran it again and smelled clutch again. Was bummed out. Drive a couple thousand miles (with WOT runs here and there) more and go to the track again and zero clutch smell.

That tells me I seated the surfaces of the clutch at the track. The new power lvl was enough to seat it. Moral of the story is these clutches take a little more than what some give credit for.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
The reason I'm doing clutch now is because over this winter I will be doing an aluminator and doing a small pulleyed torco tune for the track next summer. My clutch has been great so far, but I want to start putting together the "supporting mods" to run the higher HP. The aluminator comes with the stock flywheel, right? I will also be getting a one piece DS, and injectors this summer. That's why I don't have a lot of extra $$$, so if I didn't need a flywheel that would've helped. But, seems like I will just not install the clutch till I save up for a FW.

86Fbody

Established Member
Check with Steve at Blowfishracing, I believe he rubs the same clutch and might have a good price on it.

Torchy

Established Member
Shoot man I'd just swap the clutch when you do the motor. You'll already be in there.

jojobee

Established Member
Check with Steve at Blowfishracing, I believe he rubs the same clutch and might have a good price on it.

Very nice guy, i ordered some stuff from him last year.
He track his car a lot so if he indeed uses that clutch he will have some good experience to share.

Users who are viewing this thread