INFERRED_EGO_TEMPERATURE vs. EGT?

VSack

Established Member
Hello all,

I'm aware that INFERRED EGO TEMPERATURE is not the same as a true EGT tap. So far as I have been able to tell from reading patent applications, Inferred EGO (or inferred exhaust gas oxygen temperature for all those using Google search to find this thread later) seems to be a measure of the temperature of an actual O2 sensor. Which one on my exhaust, I have zero idea.

Back when I was into modding my Ex's 99 Eclipse, we tapped an EGT into her exhaust and kept monitoring any boost we added to make sure it stayed under 1600 (I believe...its been a while). This seems to also be the magic number on the Cobra as well, which leads me to believe this is simply the number that is considering within the tolerances of a gas combustion engine.

The problem is, I am blindly assuming that Inferred EGO can do roughly the same thing. If that's the case, I almost made a little soil in my pants watching my SCT spike.

While datalogging, I noticed that average cruise on the IEGOT was about 1400ish. When I engage higher RPMs, the PID sensor is slow to react, but when it does, it gets pretty gnarly.

In the Terminator in third gear, I can goose her at higher RPMs (WOT or otherwise) from 40 to 60 a few times and slow her down and get the temp over 1600. Keep in mind this car is almost completely stock except for the catted X exhaust.

In the Cougar (00 V6 basically stock), I can do almost the same exact thing.

The oddity is how the gauge reacts differently in each car. The NA Cougar responds after a second or two of RPM acceleration, and the temp immediately falls off after acceleration. In the Cobra, the temperature takes a second to register, and the temps can rise almost 100 degreess AFTER I have already let off the gas.

The question is: Can any of these measurements be considered when diagnosing the cars ability to displace heat? Can you use EGO as a simple diagnostic for EGT prior to getting a wideband tap, or should I just shut my mouth, pony up the dough for an EGT and A/F gauge and be done with it?

Speaking of which, what EGT are people running? I haven't seen as much of a consensus as I have with other parts.

In my situation, if the Inferred EGO is being read off the Cobra post catalytic converter, is is possible that the cats are storing the heat and causing some sort of nasty back pressure that could affect the engine? Is the design of an X exhaust more likely to retain the heat and cause problems?

Inferred EGO is almost a mystery. There is so little information on the subject, and its tough trying to find information that doesn't involved the superego or id.

I'm in a pickle because the exhaust came as is, and there are no O/R pipes to be had. Not to mention I don't exactly have the tools required to remove the welded cats and throw new pipes in. At least in Minnesota we aren't dealing with emissions.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Users who are viewing this thread