Info/opinions on Thunderbird

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
I know it's not SVT, but it's still Ford.

Looking for any info (or decent forums) for Thunderbirds.

Specifically the mid 80's models up until the 97 model. NOT the current one.

What are they like as a DD and basis of a performance car?

I mean the look pretty good, more tame than a Stang. But still rwd with a V8?

Don't see many this side of the Atlantic so please offer up any info.

Cheers.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
From recollection, I don't have a lot of information nor do I know of a website that caters completely to the Thunderbird coupe. I came close to buying a Super Coupe on two seperate occasions, but never did. The elementary basics are that the Ford T-Bird was the sister car of the Mercury Cougar and Lincoln Mark VIII during those years. The Lincoln received the 4.6 DOHC that would later reside in the Mustang Cobra, while the 4.6 2V would be the top end of choice after the supercharged 3.8L V6 used in the Cougar XR7 and T-Bird Super Coupe went away. With the supercharged 3.8L, you could even get a manual tranny. The cars were pretty heavy for a coupe and as the Mustang began to grow in size and the coupe market was light, the big Ford 2-door just fell out of favor with the public.

amorrow

Established Member
I drove a '95 Super Coupe for awhile, and it was a comfortable and good-performing everyday driver. The Eatons on the Super Coupes really make them fun to drive, and I'd actually opt for one of these over a V8-equipped T-Bird.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The Thunderbird coupe went away but somehow the Monte Carlo has stuck around.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
www.tccoa.com

i used to have one, but i gave it to my sister for her 1st car, and shell prolly give it back when she gets something else.

nice and comfy, can fir 4 comfortably, trunk enough for two fully assembled dead bodies or 4 dis-assembled ones, quicker than most of the econoboxes of today still. One of fords first IRS systems out back, and it has a crappier version (if thats even possible) than the current 4r70w if youre looking at the 94-97's, pre 94 got the AODE or whatever. car has next to zero aftermarket, so if youre planning on modding it, good luck.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
thomas91169 said:
www.tccoa.com

i used to have one, but i gave it to my sister for her 1st car, and shell prolly give it back when she gets something else.

nice and comfy, can fir 4 comfortably, trunk enough for two fully assembled dead bodies or 4 dis-assembled ones, quicker than most of the econoboxes of today still. One of fords first IRS systems out back, and it has a crappier version (if thats even possible) than the current 4r70w if youre looking at the 94-97's, pre 94 got the AODE or whatever. car has next to zero aftermarket, so if youre planning on modding it, good luck.
Cheers for the info.

Just thought they would be a bit different, plus cheaper than a Stang to buy. Slap some nice wheels on one with a burbly exhaust and I reckon it would be a nippy good looking coupe.

Not really all that bothered about big performance from one.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have a 95 LX we have had since new in Dec 94. It is our DD and has been on trips and all. It has the 4.6 but not much room for add ons. I always wanted to drop in a bigger motor (Cobra 4.6) but have not had the time. We love ours. The Lincoln Mark 7/8 (can't remember which) was based on the same platform. Performance wise, when mine was new I took it to a FFW at Bristol and ran consistant 16.3 with a fully loaded trunk of luggage and stuff. I made it all the way to the1/4 finals before I got beat by less than .05 sec.

Users who are viewing this thread