Informed Car People...What did I do?

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
Okay, I have a couple of pictures of something under my car. I am new to this and am unsure of it's name or purpose for that matter. Sorry! But the thing I do know is that it is not suppose to leak an oily substance. I think I may have some how cracked the seal, which could have occured at the my recent track visit. Has anyone done this? What occured to inflict this? and What was your resolution?

This is, from the back of the car, in the very middle of the rear wheels, inbetween the exhuast pipes.

Sorry the pictures are so big, the "seal" is nearest the bottom on this one.

snakecharmr99

Established Member
The pic is of the rear differential, specifically the IRS center section. Is the fluid coming out from between the cover and the housing? If so, have you ever jacked the car up using this as a lifting point? There have been a few posts regarding leaky pinion seals (at the other side of the pic where the driveshaft attaches) and halfshaft seals (where the two "mini driveshafts" come out and go toward the rear wheels). I would try cleaning up all the visable fluid real good to try to see exactly where it is coming from. There is a vent tube assembly on the top of the diff. you might have just blown a little fluid out from there. I wouldn't use the diff. as a lifting point for jacking the car up however. Try cleaning up the fluid and see if it still leaks out. If so, try to find out exactly where it is coming from, good luck, snakecharmr99.

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by snakecharmr99
I wouldn't use the diff. as a lifting point for jacking the car up however.
I have never owned a rear wheel drive car with independent suspension, I always have used the diff for lifting in the past, what do you recommend on the cobra? I prefer to lift the whole front or rear at a time, (rather than just one corner)

4D THNDR

Established Member
Jack one wheel at a time. I messed up my pinion seal on my "L" with the solid axle by jacking it up under the differential.

BBriBro

Established Member
I'm surprised to hear that, I have jacked up countless solid axle american cars under the diff and never had a problem. I hate to jack up one corner, it twists everything to the point you can't even open the doors. I had a jetta and you could lift it from one corner, with 2 wheels off the ground, almost 3 and still open all the doors, It was stiff. But my firebird, no way.

Matt03

Established Member
My car was leaking rear diff. fluid. I just had the dealership reseal it. It was coming from the center section of the housing that you have in your pic. Hope this helps.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
i am guessing your car is still under warranty. Have you changed your stock gears? if so take it back to the shop that changed them. They should get it resealed for free. If you have not, just take it to a dealership and let them fix it (under warranty) oh yeah.. PLEASE dont say your were racing!!!
Good luck

jtfx6552

Established Member
FWIW, Ford documentation specifically states not to jack the rear of the car by the center section. I did it on my '99 all the time. With the '03 I've been following the rules and jacking one side at at time.

JT

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
The car has never been jacked from the rear, just driven up on a lift. And the gears have not been changed. Thanks for all of the input though. I may have broken the seal when I got the wheel hop bad on one launch. I know I need to get it fixed, but how urgent is it? Oh no, I won't tell the dealership, race when, lol?

Thanks
Chelsea

Users who are viewing this thread