Ingersoll Rand W7150 Cordless 1/2 Inch Impact Review

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
So I picked up this IR W7150 Cordless 1/2 inch impact for $365 on amazon right before prime day. It came with an impact, charger, and 2 batteries all for $365. The batteries alone if purchased separately are around $125 for the 3 amp and $160 for the 5 amp according to ToolTopia. I had a Craftsman C3 which got the job done on the other 2 cars in the family, but the lugs and bolts on my Mustang would just not budge. This thing took them off like no ones business. The gun is rated for 780 ft/lbs of torque and 1100 ft/lbs of nut busting torque. Lugs are in for replacement and so are all the studs on all four corners. They're all rusted out and in need of replacement. I have yet to find a bolt that this will not zap off, although I will surely NOT use it to zap them back on as this thing is mega powerful. It matched up to the IR2135 1/2 inch air impact in testing, and some reviews have put the torque output closer to 900 ft/lbs which I find incredible for a cordless impact. I highly recommend buying this cordless wrench if you are in search of one, as I think this is one of the best deals around imo. Anyway on to the pics.

View of the case. The lid is detachable, so for all you guys with rolling tool cases, you can take off the lid and store it in your box and just grab it when needed. If traveling and taking the impact with you, just reattach the lid and latch it up. Very nice feature imo.
IMG_2066_zpsjqbux7ko.jpg

View of the impact itself. Really like the angled grip on it as sometimes you need that little extra clearance between parts so that angled design helps to create some distance in those tight to reach places. The impact does not have a workman's light on the battery or gun, which I do not like, but it is not a major player for me. The battery is a 20v 3.0amp hour which has plenty of power but you can upgrade to a 20v and 5.0amp hour battery if you wish. The batteries are plenty powerful and have great long lasting life. The motor unlike the Milwaukee M18 2763 is a brush type motor, while the Milwaukee is brushless. The motor did not show signs of weakening of breaking down in testing.
IMG_2070_zps0yp7j9iy.jpg

View of the gun compared to my Craftsman C3. As you can see, the IR is MUCH bigger than my Craftsman owed to that high torque output motor on the IR. Couldn't believe how big it was compared to the Craftsman tbh.
IMG_2073_zpsg84ccukp.jpg

View of the whole package. Charger, Impact, and spare battery. The charger is very nice as it has a USB port on the side for you to charge your smartphone or tablet while working. This is especially nice for you guys with rolling tool boxes and lifts where you can just set your phone or tablet down on your work station while you work depending. Very nice feature imo.
IMG_2077_zpsb9mdknca.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with the impact's performance so far. Although not made in the USA, it is of very high quality, and I think you get a lot of gun for your money. Air tools are always nice to have, but I think this tackles a lot of what air could do. So for all of you who hate lugging around an air impact with air hose attached, I think this cordless impact is a great fit. You get a lot of impact for the money imo, and I would recommend it to anyone. Any questions, drop a comment below. Cheers!

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Do want, just need to pull the trigger. I have the harbor freight one and it actually does pretty well, but I know on major chassis bolts it won't get it done.

racebronco2

Established Member
The Ingersoll Rand is the most powerful one you can get. I had the Milwalkee, snap one, dewalt etc. Nothing compares.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
I have used one for years, best tool I have ever owned. I recently sold it to try the Milwaukee stuff since I wanted the Milwaukee 3/8" (stronger than the IR 3/8" and it's TINY) and their lights & saws anyway. I have one W7150 left that's new that Im probably gonna sell though, as well as a 3/8" and drill combo kit. The 3.0 batteries are not $180 new, they are $70-$90 online generally, the new 5.0 batteries are more expensive, mid $100 and up.

The Milwaukee 2763-20 1/2" is rated at 80 ft pounds less working torque, the same breakaway torque, but usually does similar numbers if not slightly higher in independent testing. The Milwaukee is brushless and their warranty is better, has a light, and two power modes, plus they have 6.0 and 9.0 ah batteries coming soon. The disadvantage for the Milwaukee is it's 10 ounces heavier (which is a lot, considering how heavy the IR already is), and the head is not angled which could be good or bad depending on what you are going. I havent done anything with the Milwaukee 1/2 yet, the 3/8" will take lug nuts off of an 01 Cobra lol.

The W7150 will take lug nuts, spindle bolts, k member bolts, upper and lower control arm bolts, crank bolt, head bolts, pretty much anything off of a Mustang. I may end up

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
The Ingersoll Rand is the most powerful one you can get. I had the Milwalkee, snap one, dewalt etc. Nothing compares.

There are several Milwaukee versions, just a few years ago when I got my W7150, Milwaukee had a 1/2" that was only 400 ft pounds, they closed the gap with the Gen 1 Fuel, and now the gen 2 is right there with it if not slightly ahead in "testing". I do believe the W7150 might still have the edge vs the 2763-20 Milwaukee, but the Milwaukee Fuel 3/8 edges out the Ingersoll 3/8 W5130. Also Makita just came out with some high powered 1/2 as well.

Ingersoll did just come out with a new W5132 3/8" impact that is brushless, it's in between the size of a W5130 and W7150 and is a ****ing MONSTER, it's 5 pounds though, could fill the gap for people who dont need a 7 pound giant 1/2" for everything. If they do a 1/2" Brushless, it's game over for Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, everybody. The Snap On stuff is super expensive and way behind all of them in power.

I recommend a cordless impact to anybody though, it's 10000 times handier than air unless you work in a shop, and even then it beats dragging a hose around.

Stanger00

Established Member
Milwaukee brushless fuels are beasts. Use the 3/4" 4.0amp batteries and it has enough power to break loose 380ftlb nylock 7/8" nuts. One battery will take care of 12 nuts. We use them on the trains I work on. They torque up 330ftlbs with those giant nuts and bolts. The 3/8" fuel will snap 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Wish the company bought IG's though since they look like they would last longer. We abuse the crap out of our tools.

I prefer air because it hits harder and less noisy. We use IG impacts but they break down after 2-3 months. I don't know the model but the ones we prefer are composite body for light weight but after a few drops and knocking loose 80ish 380ftlb bolts and nuts per shift wears them out.

Last edited:

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
I have used one for years, best tool I have ever owned. I recently sold it to try the Milwaukee stuff since I wanted the Milwaukee 3/8" (stronger than the IR 3/8" and it's TINY) and their lights & saws anyway. I have one W7150 left that's new that Im probably gonna sell though, as well as a 3/8" and drill combo kit. The 3.0 batteries are not $180 new, they are $70-$90 online generally, the new 5.0 batteries are more expensive, mid $100 and up.

The Milwaukee 2763-20 1/2" is rated at 80 ft pounds less working torque, the same breakaway torque, but usually does similar numbers if not slightly higher in independent testing. The Milwaukee is brushless and their warranty is better, has a light, and two power modes, plus they have 6.0 and 9.0 ah batteries coming soon. The disadvantage for the Milwaukee is it's 10 ounces heavier (which is a lot, considering how heavy the IR already is), and the head is not angled which could be good or bad depending on what you are going. I havent done anything with the Milwaukee 1/2 yet, the 3/8" will take lug nuts off of an 01 Cobra lol.

The W7150 will take lug nuts, spindle bolts, k member bolts, upper and lower control arm bolts, crank bolt, head bolts, pretty much anything off of a Mustang. I may end up

I was probably looking at the 5 amp prices instead of the 3 amp. ToolTopia had them listed for $125 for the 3 amp and $160 for the 5 amp. Glad you have had a good experience with the tool! Like I said, I am quite impressed at how far cordless tech has come.

Last edited:

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
Supposedly the dewalt 1/2 impact is the strongest right now. Their is a review on YouTube where they review the dewalt, IR and Milwaukee and the dewalt takes the win but the Milwaukee is very close.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Supposedly the dewalt 1/2 impact is the strongest right now. Their is a review on YouTube where they review the dewalt, IR and Milwaukee and the dewalt takes the win but the Milwaukee is very close.

Ya I watched the same video and was surprised the IR scored the lowest, but all the reviews I read and personal user reviews said the gun was a beast. Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them tbh. They're all great and capable cordless tools.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Ya I watched the same video and was surprised the IR scored the lowest, but all the reviews I read and personal user reviews said the gun was a beast. Probably couldn't go wrong with any of them tbh. They're all great and capable cordless tools.

There is another video where the IR and Milwaukee basically tie on the test. Ingersoll is more "stuffy ass corporate" when you call them with questions than Milwaukee. I will say this, after owning the Ingersoll and Milwaukee stuff, I will never buy any air tools again. I hate the loud compressor, dragging a line around, and waiting for it to air back up if you run it down with an air ratchet. Plus when I go out of town I throw the impact in the truck with me because I will be damned if Im changing a flat tire or something on the side of the road with a 4 way, when I can press a button and look like a Nascar pit crew!

svtshadow

Banned
Looking to buy an electric cordless impact wrench just to speed up removing nuts and bolts much quicker. I think the highest rated bolt/nut is 250ft/lbs (axle nut). Is there a reason to get an impact wrench that at is rated for more than 350ft/lbs?

Torchy

Established Member
I have the exact same one and dayum it is a beast! Def one of the best tools I've ever bought.

Speeds8erM-1

Video Whore
Established Member
Looking to buy an electric cordless impact wrench just to speed up removing nuts and bolts much quicker. I think the highest rated bolt/nut is 250ft/lbs (axle nut). Is there a reason to get an impact wrench that at is rated for more than 350ft/lbs?

Yes, because any extension, swivel or adapter you add KILLS the power of an impact, even the weight of the socket can factor in. Overkill is better than under kill when dealing with impact tools.

Users who are viewing this thread