Initial Dyno Results... a little dissappointed

derryck

Established Member
Well... I turned 900 miles on the odometer today and changed the oil for the first time (Mobil 1 oil + Mobil 1 filter) which may have affected my results a bit. I've dynoed cars in the past before and after oil changes (immediately before and after) and they always seem to run lower after the initial oil change. Anyways... got 341.3 RWHP and 351.5 TQ bone stock. I have a chip installed that will allow me to run the stock ecu w/ a flip of a switch so that's what I mean when I say stock. With the chip it made 365.0 RWHP and 374.4 ... which made me very happy with my chip purpose... best $375 I've ever spent on hp. I'll be doing a CAI in the week or so and hit the dyno again. Does anyone else think these are low stock numbers? The car seems like such a monster I can't imagine that anything is wrong with it.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by derryck
... which made me very happy with my chip purpose... best $375 I've ever spent on hp.
You think that was the best HP for money mod. Wait till you get he 2.80 Pulley. Now that by far is least expensive HP around. IT is a must have for our cars. Its like night and day. No need to worry about low dyno #'s with the pulley.You'll be amazed.Black03

OverToad

Established Member
341.3 RWHP and 351.5 TQ bone stock

For starters, I'm no car expert (THIS JUST IN!) :p

But at 900 miles I'm not really convinced that your car is totally broken in yet.
Here's why I say that....
I just did my first dyno run with my 03 yesterday at a shop here in Austin. As I was pulling up, sitting out in front were 4 Ferrari's, 1 Lamborghini, 4- 8 second drag mustangs, a Bently, 2 '57 Chevy's, 3 race Vipers, and other assorted domestic and imported monsters. They had a Supra there that was supposed to have 1200 hp. I mention this to make it clear these guys know their Sh!t.

At 1100 miles, the guy said my car is "barely" broken in, but it helped that I had a Bassani catback and xpipe. I'd wait another 500 miles and then put it on the dyno. Also, how many runs did you do? The first run is never as good as the next set of runs.

I got VERY lucky with my car. At 1100 miles with just the exhaust, I did 394hp and 385tq, but that is more on the faster side than most. With a few more hundred miles, I would think you'd pick up another 10 hp, which would put you in the 350-360 range which is about right.

Feel better yet? :beer:

bborder

Established Member
don't worry.. I had exactly the same dyno results for mine. Since then I've added a 3.1 pulley, X-pipe and chip. Car now makes 430hp and 443tq. I'm sure once you start the mods, your car will get up to par like mine did.

03cobra#116

Established Member
The shop where mine was done said they had done three 2003 Cobras, with the numbers for HP being 349, 355, and 383. Mine was the 383.

f4sfed

Established Member
My first was VERY disappointing. There were two other '03's that ran on that dyno before I did, and they ran between 360 to 370 rwhp. ...then here I come in at 350! WUWT!?

However, Overtoad and bborder are right...I think your car will fall right in line, with enough time. :)

2003snake

Established Member
I agree with the statement that your car is not broken in fully.....

Mine dyno'ed @ 1700 Miles 419 SAE RWHP / 380 SAE RHTQ

Maganflow Cat & X // Densecharger----that's it.

Blades

Established Member
Yikes.. :eek: that makes me cringe

About the numbers -
I say break it in.. :) did you remove the silencer?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
It may very well be a break-in issue or clogged cats. I dyno'd stock with 1100 miles at 328rwhp/338rwtq. Since the first mod was exhuast, I was unable to tell about clogged cats. Currently at 451rwhp/476rwtq with a 2.80 pulley and belt slippage.

derryck

Established Member
Hmmm.... my next dyno visit should be at about 1500 miles and I think I'll have a CAI and probably 2.80 pulley. Right now my plan is to keep the exhaust entirely stock... I know it will cost me some hp but I really like how quiet it is. When they started my car up to move it onto the dyno someone commented that it was the quietest 400 hp car they had ever heard... made me grin a bit. Also the dyno was in pretty cramped quarters and the temperature in there was 98 degrees and it was full of exhaust fumes from the previous car... an early 90's MR2 turbo. It was kind of amusing... the guy was telling me how much he had spent on modding the car and at 1.25 bar of boost he made like 207 RWHP and 190ish TQ... I told him he should have just bought a Cobra.:p

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
My dyno numbers are in my sig. obtained at 3800 miles. I thought is was respectable and in the upper range of what I have heard to date. I really noticed an overall pick up after attending the SVT track event in Indy. I think it really broke the car (and me) in. It'll heat up, she's just simmering now. Have fun

Grumpy

Established Member
I had my baseline dyno done with 1670 miles on the car. The numbers are in my sig and they are SAE Corrected.

Redwing

Established Member
I would check your cats. Mine dynoed at 368rwhp, bone stock, with about 1500 miles on it. Removing the silencer gave me 386 HP. Since then I'm up to 5000 miles and the car absolutely feels faster.
Won't be dyno-ing till next spring as I'm putting my baby to sleep for the winter.
As the car is a daily driver, and I have warranty concerns, I'll probably only do the exhaust, plugs, and intake. I'll stay away from a chip and pulley.

Steve

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I agree with checking the cats...

My numbers are with 1,200 easy miles on the clock with K&N drop-in and Flowmaster cat-back...

Hardtop

Established Member
Nice numbers. Your car will dyno higher once you get some miles on it. Don't get to caught up with dyno numbers. The only way to compare to 2 different cars is the same dyno same day. Many LS1 guys get caught up in this. The same goes for flow bench numbers, it has to be the same bench to really make a good comparison. You guys got it good when you worry about "only" 360+ at the wheels with a stock car. Many people would like to make that with mods. Congrats.:beer:

Bruce

key2you

Established Member
I dyno'd mine about 3 weeks ago, with almost 7900 miles on my 03. My #'s were 374.3hp w/373.6 ft lbs and that was completely stock. I made a total of 3 passes this way. All with in 2hp and 3ft lbs of one another. I then removed the air filter and made an additional 3 passes. the best run was 394.8hp w/373.9ft lbs. with the lowest run being 385.9 hp w/366.9 ft lbs. I believe if I dyno'd mine with in the first one thousand miles my #'s would not be as high. I think when you get to around 2500 miles you are truly broken in.

mkdiehl

Established Member
Has anyone differentiated the first run cars with the second run? Are these lower numbers with the second run for some reason?

Also, how to you "check" the cats?

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Dont' worry about it. I had the same numbers at 900 miles. You should pick 10-15 hp up at about 2,500. By then you'll probably have mods done, too, so just don't worry about it. Your car is about right. I did a lot of research on stock cars with low mileage and they are all about the same.

Sonic03

Alaskan Assasin
Established Member
my first run was 427Hp, my third was 430hp, and my last which was within 2 minutes of the second I put down 433hp, and 417 trq!!!the intercooler on these things RULE!

Users who are viewing this thread