Injector duty cycle % drop after fuel system?

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I know there aren't alot of self tuners in the mustang world but I'm curious if anyone has monitored their IDC/IPW pre & post fuel system upgrade to see if you had a noticable difference. Reason I ask is that I threw in one of the DW 400 fuel pump kits in my 14 and there was simply 0 different before & after for IDC & IPW. Right now one of the last pieces to my puzzle is getting the fuel system right, with the procharger 47lb injectors I was going to 100% IDC at 6200 rpms and leaned out so I bought ID1050's which bandaided the issue and now when I'm at 7500 rpms I'm at around 75% IDC in the summer heat. This is on 93 pump though so knowing that E85 needs about 30% more fuel 75+30 doesn't sound like a good mixture. Currently I'm only in the 600 wheel range so I'm 100% confident the 1050's should be good to 800+ on E85 with good fuel pressure.

Obviously I was hoping the DW400 pump would get my fuel pressure steady but apparently its not working out as I had hoped so my next step will be a full fuel system but I would be interested in anyone that has before/after data from adding a return style fuel system.

clinton2003

Established Member
are you running a pump voltage booster? or is it running at 12/14 volts. If not you could try that to help, but i'd recommend a full return system. one with a 1:1 boost reference regulator. makes life much easier.

Also have you checked the Fuel Flow Calculator ID's website to compare it to your setup? could see how much fuel your vehicle needs and where duty cycle should be with those injectors.

obviously a fuel system is your best bet, may it be a cheaper sai li setup, or a full blown fore system. When i first put on my power adder i decided to do a triple hat, dual pump setup thinking worst case i'd have too much fuel. now I have all 3 pumps in and pushing the system. never thought i would need it but im glad i did it in the beginning. it was much cheaper (both financially and install wise) to do the purchase one time, vs having to buy a BAP, then sell, then do a Sai Li or dual pump hat, then mess with selling it and doing the big boy setup.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
are you running a pump voltage booster? or is it running at 12/14 volts. If not you could try that to help, but i'd recommend a full return system. one with a 1:1 boost reference regulator. makes life much easier.

Also have you checked the Fuel Flow Calculator ID's website to compare it to your setup? could see how much fuel your vehicle needs and where duty cycle should be with those injectors.

obviously a fuel system is your best bet, may it be a cheaper sai li setup, or a full blown fore system. When i first put on my power adder i decided to do a triple hat, dual pump setup thinking worst case i'd have too much fuel. now I have all 3 pumps in and pushing the system. never thought i would need it but im glad i did it in the beginning. it was much cheaper (both financially and install wise) to do the purchase one time, vs having to buy a BAP, then sell, then do a Sai Li or dual pump hat, then mess with selling it and doing the big boy setup.

Yes running a VMP plug & play BAP, and yes I've been fighting this for some time now and have done a ton of research. I definitely would've done things differently if I had known I'd run into so many issues, hindsight 20/20 lol

clinton2003

Established Member
if your already got a bap, then your going to have to do a fuel system.

With the aftermarket system you have the boost reference, which adds 1psi for every psi of fuel, so when your trying to inject fuel, its always at your "base" pressure. base pressure at 58, and boost at 15 psi, it would have 15psi of air pressure in cylinder and 73 psi of fuel pressure (adds 1psi fuel for every psi boost) to give you an equivalent of 58 psi at the injector nozzle. so it doesnt have to account for lower press from the boost pressure pushing against it. Again running 15 psi of boost, with the factory system (no boost reference) with 58 psi , you would only see an equivalent of 43psi at the injector nozzle, so your having to spray longer to get the fuel it needs.

thats the main difference with a good return fuel system that has boost reference. Now remember, you have to be aware of the mechanical fuel pressure limit of the pumps, i want to say the walpro 267 (465 whatever) has a fuel pressure bleed starting at around 80psi, the "high pressure" 274 (same as 267 spec wise, but higher pressure) doesnt start bleeding off untill around 100psi.

Hope this all makes sense.

4VFTW

Established Member
I'm running Sai Li's setup on my car with ID1000's and E85. I made 665whp on 93 @17deg. Now im at 21deg on E85. Sai's kit is supposed to be good for 850whp on E85 , but my car was leaning out at around 6800... pressure was dropping 5-7lbs so I had to turn the base pressure up to 65 to get it to stop going lean. It still drops 5psi pretty much right after the hit but it stays steady at 60psi.

Do the fuel system right the 1st time would be my advice.

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I'm running Sai Li's setup on my car with ID1000's and E85. I made 665whp on 93 @17deg. Now im at 21deg on E85. Sai's kit is supposed to be good for 850whp on E85 , but my car was leaning out at around 6800... pressure was dropping 5-7lbs so I had to turn the base pressure up to 65 to get it to stop going lean. It still drops 5psi pretty much right after the hit but it stays steady at 60psi.

Do the fuel system right the 1st time would be my advice.

do you think you are in the 725-750rwhp range on E85?
If you could've done it all over again would you have spent the extra 500-800 on a better fuel system?
What option hose did you go with and do you get alot of bleed through fuel smell? Once I go to a full fuel system one thing I'm concerned with is this in particular because I park the car in my garage which is right next to my office and right under my kids room so I can't get lines that would cause my garage to smell of gas.
You still on the stock rails?
What injectors?

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
I should be at least 725whp. If your planning on building the motor and turning the boost up then yes spend the xtra money on a system that can support that. I'm hoping to not have to build my motor anytime soon and my car will be a DD for at least the next 2 yrs so I dont really need more power at this time.

I got the PTFE lined hoses so there should be no smell.

If you have the money to drop on a Fore system I would go that route. I didnt have the extra cash at the time and I dont use credit cards.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
The rodeheaver kit is pretty impressive, uses 2 gt350 pumps and I've heard good things about it. Think it's 1500 and Shaun over at AED just put down 1200 who with it on e85.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bill@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The rodeheaver kit is pretty impressive, uses 2 gt350 pumps and I've heard good things about it. Think it's 1500 and Shaun over at AED just put down 1200 who with it on e85.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Yeah I was talking to Jn2ning who sells a similar kit using the gt350 pumps, I think the main difference is that it doesn't use the 2nd fuel control module. Still contemplating which route to go at this point. Likely won't buy until sept/oct so it'll be in by nov which is when we finally start getting better air down here.

Users who are viewing this thread