Injector Fouling Symptoms?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I took my one car out for the first time in a shamefully long time. It drove great for most of the map but at hot idle, it was just absolutely rich (0.68 lambda) to the point it would often stall. It had been sitting with E85 in it, fuel stabilizer, and I had thrown some injector/fuel system cleaner in it before driving it. The only thing I can think of that would make it that rich in that one spot is if there's some contaminant preventing the injectors from fully closing. And when you're talking 210lb/hr injectors that are already at their bare minimum duty cycle, it would not take much.

Normally I see people with injectors gumming up in the opposite direction- reducing flow at higher flow rates and going lean, but has anyone had this happen at low flows? And if you have, what was the remedy? Did it clear up with some driving and treatment in the tank, switching to gasoline, doing a home clean on the injectors, or did you have to send them out?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you check the plugs? Maybe they weren't happy after sitting so long. I haven't had any injectors gum up, but I've ran Sea Foam through a tank in my daily occasionally and it seemed to run better.

Don't forget to check your fuel filter as well.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Filters were fine.

If the plugs were fouled it would misfire and read lean.

It was only unhappy at hot idle ~700RPM where pulsewidth was the shortest. Up around 1000RPM and above it cleared up.

I'm tempted to see if some more driving and treatment will do the trick, but I'll have to bump the idle up or something otherwise it will want to stall from running so rich.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Bosch 210's gum up, that's why I got rid of em. They can stick open, stick shut or anything in between. They are an awesome injector for the price, but they require maintenance. I used to send mine in yearly to get cleaned after sitting in winter. Now I have Deka 220's which are stainless and I haven't cleaned them once in 3-4 years running them.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Bosch 210's gum up, that's why I got rid of em. They can stick open, stick shut or anything in between. They are an awesome injector for the price, but they require maintenance. I used to send mine in yearly to get cleaned after sitting in winter. Now I have Deka 220's which are stainless and I haven't cleaned them once in 3-4 years running them.

Where did you send them for cleaning?

Users who are viewing this thread