Innocent...

SOHC46

Super Poster!
Established Member
A month ago I was coming back from marietta with my 16 year old nephew in the car. We merged onto 285 E from 75 S. I had my cruise control set at 65mph (yes I know, still speeding [I don't have gears, so speedo is accurate]). I changed three lanes to the fast lane. A Camaro SS flies up behind me. He (Camaro boy) gets beside me and revs the motor. I smile, wave, and continue on my way. He continues revving, speeding up, and slowing down for about one mile. We round a corner and there is an officer on a motorcycle lasering. I thought "finally" this punk is going to get what he deserves. Well the officer gets on his bike and heads "our" way. The camaro slows way down, and moves to the right. However the LEO did not stay with him, but instead continued after me. I applied my hazards, traveled to the next exit, and pulled into a parking lot. He asked the usual "Do you know what I stopped you for" . I replied "No". He said that he clocked me doing 85 mph in a 55 mph. I told him that was impossible. And that I had my cruise set at 65 mph,and he must have clocked the SS not me. He said he was 100% sure that he got me. I then asked to see the laser. He showed me 83 mph, but wrote 85 mph on the ticket. My nephew spoke up then, and said we were truely traveling at 65. The officer chuckled and said no we weren't. I asked him for a warning or to just re-write the ticket for 65. He declinded so...What are my rights? I know that you here this all the time, BUT, I'm truely innocent. What can I do? Thanks guys.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Write the district attorney office a letter and tell them you are pleading not guilty. Show up in court on your inital appearance(court date on ticket) if your state requires it.

Call the District attorney and ask how to file a motion for discovery for the Narrative of the ticket, the radar certs, and officers Lidar training cert. Also inform him you are going to bring your Nephew in as a witness.

Then go into court and plead your case and hope the judge believes you. Just remember, court happens when court happens. You may have to travel to get there or take days off of work. You may just be better off argueing with the ADA or DA over the phone to see if he will drop it. It not, it may be cheaper to do a "no contest" plea.

Personally I would fight it..... But that just me.

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
I'm not going to say you are guilty or innocent but here's the thing. I agree w/ Law...write a letter to the DA. The only problem is this. The laser is a great tool that we use. At 100 yards the beam of the laser is 3ft. So, where the trooper points it..."USUALLY" that is point of impact. So, dude you might have problems there.

I hope you get out of this one.....if not appeal to circuit court. Just remember that at circuit court it is a new trial and that judge can give you a greater penalty then at General District.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread