input on FR CJ intake

naeem5oh

Established Member
ok im a alittle confused... what exactly are the differences between the boss manifold and the CJ manifold? i see the CJ mani requires a bigger TB off the gt500 but other then that they both advertise the same 7750 peak. and they claim the CJ mani wont lose torque like the boss mani does...
COBRA JET 5.0L 4V INTAKE MANIFOLD -- M-9424-M50CJ

03dsgdreams

Established Member
It sure looks and sounds sweet but with the price of the intake, throttle body, air intake and tune your going to spend at least 2 thousand dollars on that set up.. I don't think the power gain will be worth that much money, unless.. Money is no object and your just out to build the most bad ass N/A set up possible.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
I believe it has even shorter runners than the Boss manifold requiring you to spin up the rpms even higher, meaning shifting above 8000. You will then need M-12A227-CJ13 for the computer to keep up.

You will easily be able to get a take off throttle body from the gt500 guys. Most will just need to get a new intake and retune.

To push that high in the powerband you will also need valve train upgrades and a clutch pressure plate upgrade.

naeem5oh

Established Member
^seems like someone whos crazy about staying N/A would invest in... i just got my boss mani on yesterday and with the 3.55s i have only a smile so far

twistedneck

Established Member
Price for a custom long block plus all the good stuff like cj intake, mono blade tb, injectors, big cams, etc.. and you are up in the $15,000 range minimum, much like the cobra jet NA motor you can buy for around the same price..

ford20

Established Member
I believe it has even shorter runners than the Boss manifold requiring you to spin up the rpms even higher, meaning shifting above 8000. You will then need M-12A227-CJ13 for the computer to keep up.

You will easily be able to get a take off throttle body from the gt500 guys. Most will just need to get a new intake and retune.

To push that high in the powerband you will also need valve train upgrades and a clutch pressure plate upgrade.

I would also upgrade your oil pump as well.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Price for a custom long block plus all the good stuff like cj intake, mono blade tb, injectors, big cams, etc.. and you are up in the $15,000 range minimum, much like the cobra jet NA motor you can buy for around the same price..

I've been quoted much less actually. Fully assembled longblock plus all my goodies and I'm looking at about $12k and it's built to my specs.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Couldn't u just get a boss instead of a gt for that kind of money?

If I bought a Boss, it'd be a track queen cause that's how that car should be used in my opinion.

Instead, doing a fully built GT that'll be a beast of a street car and amazing on the track is the route I've chosen. Plus, when I do my built motor, I'm upping my compression ratio to either 12:5:1 or 13:1 and will run E85 :dw:

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
If I bought a Boss, it'd be a track queen cause that's how that car should be used in my opinion.

Instead, doing a fully built GT that'll be a beast of a street car and amazing on the track is the route I've chosen. Plus, when I do my built motor, I'm upping my compression ratio to either 12:5:1 or 13:1 and will run E85 :dw:

The 458 runs 12.5:1 on gasoline you should have no problem if
Going 13 or 13.5:1 on e85

ford20

Established Member
I've been quoted much less actually. Fully assembled longblock plus all my goodies and I'm looking at about $12k and it's built to my specs.

Consisting of what and by who? Just curious.

Also, I would not go with the MMR piece. It is 3k alone and you now have the added weight along with it compared to the CJ intake.

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Consisting of what and by who? Just curious.

Also, I would not go with the MMR piece. It is 3k alone and you now have the added weight along with it compared to the CJ intake.

The MMR piece is $1,300. And also my motor build quote is from MMR. Fully built longblock. My current block, Boss crank, M2500R pistons with matching rods, ported heads, custom camshafts, racing springs with titanium retainers, MMR intake, Ford 90mm throttle body, MMR oil pump and gears, ATI balancer, etc, etc.

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
Well I have fingers crossed and eyes open in the classifieds for guys to start dumping their Boss intakes for these.:thumbsup:

BlackMamba3

Established Member
Oh .... MMR ...

Other then that it sounds like a good build!

What about them? I've never understood people's gripe towards them. They've always been great towards me with quotes and any questions I have.

Yes, very excited to get this build in motion. 13:1 on E85. Ohh the possibilites......

Users who are viewing this thread