Input spline 26. Does anybody know how many...

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Does anybody know how long it will take for a mechanic to replace the stock input spline with the 26 input spline(liberty), a new clutch and pressure plate, and the LDC cooling mod. How many hours did it take you? Has anybody replaced the stock flywheel while you were at it? Does it make a difference? I'm thinking to just sticking to stock on that one. Any insight is welcomed.

AllVenom

Established Member
YellowCobra28 said:
Does anybody know how long it will take for a mechanic to replace the stock input spline with the 26 input spline(liberty), a new clutch and pressure plate, and the LDC cooling mod. How many hours did it take you? Has anybody replaced the stock flywheel while you were at it? Does it make a difference? I'm thinking to just sticking to stock on that one. Any insight is welcomed.

My take is this: The clutch is only gonna be as good as what it's engaging with. Kinda the philosophy of "your only as strong as your weakest link". I would change out that stock flywheel for something that can handle more power. But that's just me.

I too would be interested in what the man hours are for this replacement as I'm needing it soon.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I recently had the LDC cooling mod, clutch, and Liberty 26-spline + TOB sleeve put in. It was somewhere around 8 or 9 hours. Definately a job best done on a lift. Don't forget to do the TOB sleeve while you are at it. There's a TSB out on this thing. They actually sell it installed in a new bell housing. As I recall it was around $250.

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
evans03c said:
I recently had the LDC cooling mod, clutch, and Liberty 26-spline + TOB sleeve put in. It was somewhere around 8 or 9 hours. Definately a job best done on a lift. Don't forget to do the TOB sleeve while you are at it. There's a TSB out on this thing. They actually sell it installed in a new bell housing. As I recall it was around $250.
Just checked my invoice. It was 12 hours.

bender460

Established Member
Just checked my invoice. It was 12 hours.
:dw:

I would think half that if they have half a clue as to what there doing. :shrug:

Is that what the BOOK says or how long it will actually take?

Last edited:

marcseidler

That is what I paid and what the book says. If it takes less time for a good mechanic to do it right than an average tech then he should still be paid for the full time. You get paid for what you know as well as what you do. If this was not the case there would be no experienced techs as if they do not make more money as they learn why would they strive to be more efficent, carefull (less combacks, etc) and therefore faster. The book time is typically what the factories pay for waranty work to the dealer. Trust me, the factories do not knowingly overpay. They expect trained techs and base the times on that assumption. You may be able to save some time cutting corners as a backyard mechanic(cleaning parts correctly, torqing all bolts, etc) but to do it right is surely worth the cash to me

bender460

Established Member
That is what I paid and what the book says. If it takes less time for a good mechanic to do it right than an average tech then he should still be paid for the full time. You get paid for what you know as well as what you do. If this was not the case there would be no experienced techs as if they do not make more money as they learn why would they strive to be more efficent, carefull (less combacks, etc) and therefore faster. The book time is typically what the factories pay for waranty work to the dealer. Trust me, the factories do not knowingly overpay. They expect trained techs and base the times on that assumption. You may be able to save some time cutting corners as a backyard mechanic(cleaning parts correctly, torqing all bolts, etc) but to do it right is surely worth the cash to me

I hear ya. Thats why it's always a good Idea to get in good with the tech that is working on your car. ;-)

03COBRASILVER

Established Member
seidler said:
8 Hours for the Clutch and Input shaft and 1 hr for the cooling mod.

You've got to be kidding, right? It took me less than 2 hours to do my clutch and inputshaft. Of course I was using one of my racks at work. This is one of the easiest transmissions to drop in my experience. Even with long tubes, it was a cake walk.

YellowCobra28

Established Member
Wow what a range of hours. We have someone that can do the job in 12 hours, 8 hours, and the grand master can do it in 2 hours. Fricken unbelievable. My mechanic is retarded, so I think it will take him 2 days :uh oh: Does anybody know a good mechanic in the Michigan area by chance, that can replace the clutch and input shaft, and install the LDC cooling mod too?

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
I would think 5 hours for the clutch, tob, input shaft and 2 hours for the cooling mod...but that's just my shop I guess...

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I have been wanting to do this but I have never done one. I have done everything to may car on my own and was wondering how difficult it is. I haven't ever messed with transmissions but have a good idea on whats goin on. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread