Inside Line Test: 2011 GT vs 2010 SS

obZidian

Established Member
2011 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2010 Chevy Camaro SS Comparison Test

Interesting read. You guys decide but it might be closer than some (including myself) might of thought.

An excerpt from the article with the goods:

"On the quarter-mile at Auto Club Speedway in lush, parklike Fontana, California, IL's long-term Camaro SS whomped to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.1 seconds with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The full quarter-mile went by in 13.1 seconds at 110.4 mph.

Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph.

That's a razor-thin advantage for the Camaro and, just to throw in some additional ambiguity, we also tested another Mustang GT (this one in blue and wearing summer tires), which ripped to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and blitzed the 1,320 feet in 13 seconds at 110.6 mph. That's the kind of razor's edge that can be measured in microns."

At the end of the day, it seems like it's a serious drivers race with the edge going to the 5-oh purely because of the weight difference.

Last edited:

evolve

Established Member
interesting! I wonder why there are so many variations in stock hp stangs in 2011...?

LaFlavor

Established Member
interesting! I wonder why there are so many variations in stock hp stangs in 2011...?

It looks like the difference between the two mustangs mentioned in the article is in the tires. All-seasons used in this comparison versus summer performance tires used in a previous test. I would be willing to wager that the slalom and skidpad numbers would be significantly better with the performance tires, too.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I saw that posted back in April. Here is my only gripe with that test, they didn't line up both cars and race them head to head, nor did they show footage of them re-testing the Camaro, (there is a video for this road test somewhere). They used a time that coincidentally was the exact same ET and trap they got last year when they tested the 2010 Camaro.

There are definitely BIG variances in conditions, tracks, etc; I'd like to have seen them lined up HEAD to HEAD in the same conditions at the same track.

Last edited:

obZidian

Established Member
true that. but on the street, it will still be a driver's race.

I haven't seen a m6 move in person besides the turbo 5th gen I was riding around for a weekend.. (awesome story!)

Anyways, given the way shit goes down on the streets, I can see where it might be a drivers race however, my gut tells me the 5.0 will just be a hair faster if not a tiny bit more., but you never know.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I'm thinking that they also ran a broken in Camaro against a non-broken Mustang GT, I don't know how much difference it would make, but I'm guessing a little.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Bottom Line:

1. Modern Camaro SS= Chevy's attempt at equalling the Mustang domination of the Pony Car World for the past 7 years. Heavy, multiple blind spots, runner up in all media comparisons, shall I go on?

2. 2011 Mustang GT= Meets or exceeds the performance (Straight Line, Road Tests, Ergonomics, etc.) of the SS with 1.2L less displacement and gets better fuel economy.

3. Modern Camaro SS= Looks Cool.

4. 2011 Mustang GT= Looks Cool.

5. Camaro History= Took a break for some odd reason???:banana:

6. Mustang History= Going strong for 47 years...:beer:

7. Modern Camaro SS= Top of the line Camaro model offered by the factory with factory warranty, etc. (Layman's Terms: all you get unless you do it yourself or pay John Lingenfelter or Hennessy some serious coin).

8. 2011 Mustang= The ability to shell out a little extra to own something that ends the contest without even turning the key...2011 GT 500.

9. Camaro SS= FAIL.

GM H8R

Just a GT
Established Member
I've always remembered the 2 being close. I can remember reading Road and Track and MotorTrend in the early/mid ninties and even though the Chevy had bigger spec's, the 2 always seemed to run real close. I guess things haven't changed much. There's one thing Chevy will never be able to beat Ford at, and that's number of units sold. Isn't that the race Chevy really want's to win?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I've always remembered the 2 being close. I can remember reading Road and Track and MotorTrend in the early/mid ninties and even though the Chevy had bigger spec's, the 2 always seemed to run real close. I guess things haven't changed much. There's one thing Chevy will never be able to beat Ford at, and that's number of units sold. Isn't that the race Chevy really want's to win?

If close equals the same or better performance with a smaller, more efficient engine from Ford, then I guess you are right.

Win also equals not having to be bailed out and owned by the Government!

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Ha Ha Ha!! Very true.

The flipside is that buying a Chevy is kind of like buying a Savings Bond, only there is no real return on your investment, because Obama doesn't give a shit if your sweet looking piece of shit plastic Camaro siezes up in 2012 and you're left at the starting line.

Last edited:

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
These last comments are kinda hateful and I can't see a reason.

In this "test," the Mustang won overall. Personally, I think it wasn't really a heads up match at all, even though each car was tested at the same place... and supposedly on the same day. There are some differences in data that simply come off as odd... Like the wind speed. How many hours apart did they do the tests? Race them TOGETHER! Is that so impossible?

I'm more "bugged" that they used a C special... USELESS version in my honest opinion. It's not on par with a standard GT, particularly wearing the summer tires. In fact, I'm surprised that the numbers between those two versions. I'll not consider the California Special because to me, it's not "special" at all in the performance department... where it matters to most Mustang GT owners/buyers.

For testing, the well broken in Camaro netted better economy, by more than 1mpg. Will that be the overall case? I can't say yet, but I rather doubt it myself. Then again, maybe on that CS model.

Considering the various packages of Mustangs, I think the Camaro needs help from GM. No, not in the engine, but perhaps in the transmission, and clearly in available options or separate and different available packages. That will surely drive price up, but it's evidently working for Ford.

Still, I'd like to see a "heads up" match between the Camaro SS(1 or 2) and a Mustang GT (or Premium) with the Brembo package and essentially nothing else added. I think, in all candidness, the Mustang GT will come out on top even though I believe it will cost about $400 more. And for cryin' out loud, take them to a REAL drag strip and run them side by side! Then, simply publish the best time slip for each, including whatever the other ran on that same moment of time. Just include the actual slip and call it a day.

All said, I think they did a fairly good write up... Sure, there were some really odd errors, but they pointed out most of their differences as compared to previous tests and made note of the California Special not being so special as well as the "better" packages available on the Mustang as compared to what they used.

Users who are viewing this thread