Insight for 550 wheel

Black 03 Mach

Roll Tide
Established Member
I have no idea where to start with this. I'm slowly doing research to build the mach in sig to 550 wheel. Right now it is at 300/300 on a dyno in a hot summers day. I was thinking about buying a short block from dss racing or somewhere else like mmr. Like i said I don't know where to begin. I saw that they had a option for 4.6 stroked to a 5.0. Is that a good idea, and can i use my stock heads or should I upgrade those as well? I can choose between iron and aluminum. Im debating between two smaller twins, or a bigger single OR a KB for the application.

My next option is the transmission and rear... That i have no clue so could someone school me on this. mine is stock, no gears. nothin.

Lastly I was thinking about full MM coilovers as well. I want to use this option for roadcourse BUT still would like take it to the quarter every so often.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

ez2cyi1

Established Member
I'm sure you'll get some great answers, but personally Kelly at Livernois has been super helpful with any questions I've had for him. If I weren't buying a house and were building the car, that's where my money would be headed.

Personally, I'd say twins are overkill for wanting 550. A nice built motor and a Whipple would do you just fine IMO.

Black 03 Mach

Roll Tide
Established Member
I want 550 with the option to go higher. Someone told me to just get forged pistons and rods as it would be much cheaper and be just as good.

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
I want 550 with the option to go higher. Someone told me to just get forged pistons and rods as it would be much cheaper and be just as good.

Not sure on the engine part, but I know with that kind of power you're going to want a built transmission, and definitely a built rear if you're even considering taking it to the strip.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I'm sure you'll get some great answers, but personally Kelly at Livernois has been super helpful with any questions I've had for him. If I weren't buying a house and were building the car, that's where my money would be headed.

Personally, I'd say twins are overkill for wanting 550. A nice built motor and a Whipple would do you just fine IMO.

Last time I checked kelly no longer works for livernois

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Do a eaton swap with a ported blower and make right around 550 and thats on a build short block. Then pick up a whipple at a later time and slowly get everything needed to upgrade.

Is the mach a 5 speed? if so its a forged crank so you could use that in a new build. pick up some stock 03 cobra rods for 300ish and buy new piston. This is all my plan as of now. :beer:

Last edited:

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
ISomeone told me to just get forged pistons and rods as it would be much cheaper and be just as good.

Does he own an import?

But seriously ...buy a built shortblock (I recommend Livernois). Since money isn't an issue, get some cams and Ford GT heads. A single turbo is cleaner and less of a hassle to maintain over a TT setup, IMO.

Last edited:

shaken_1

balls 2 the ball
Established Member
well i did a teskid block .20 over with forged pistons and rods with a ported eaton swap with blower cams longtubes etc and made 504hp on only 13psi not that big of numbers but the car runs like a bat out of hell . Before I had shm cams with ported heads and the car made 361 N/A so i agree with a eaton swap to make 550 cause i still have a few mods to do such as a lower pulley, mono blade tb, and a E85 tune I am also hoping for 550hp anything more than that will just light up the drag radials on the street .

shaken_1

balls 2 the ball
Established Member
and yes you will need to get into the tranny the stock 10 spline will be a ticking time bomb

Black 03 Mach

Roll Tide
Established Member
Thats what i thought. Ive owned the car for awhile and am just goting to pull the trigger on finishing it. Thank you for the input

Edit: like someone said giving it to jdm to make it 550 but 1000 hp capable. I want to go away from the eaton so i have that option without having to do more work. This is going to get started in a month or two. Once i gather all my parts im going to make another thread but im positive ill have more questions. I have a general knowlege of our cars BUT im still unsure on how to mix and match parts.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Does he own an import?

But seriously ...buy a built shortblock (I recommend Livernois). Since money isn't an issue, get some cams and Ford GT heads. A single turbo is cleaner and less of a hassle to maintain over a TT setup, IMO.

GT heads are overkill on a 281 CI engine and there is only one intake manifold that will fit...and it cost over $2k.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
GT heads are overkill on a 281 CI engine and there is only one intake manifold that will fit...and it cost over $2k.

Thanks for the info. What head work would you recommend for a FI setup? Centri and/or turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread