Inspecting MM CC plate bearing

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I'm getting a front end clunk going over slow bumps. It does not appear to be related to steering inputs and my brake clips are in. When I press down (which isn't much force) on the radiator support and shock tower, I feel and hear the clunk coming out of the strut tower.

If I were to inspect the MM CC bearing, is it as simple as:
1. Mark the current CC plate positions to maintain alignment
2. Unbolt the top strut bolt
3. Unbolt the 4 top plate bolts
4. Remove top plate and test whether the bearing can be moved by hand. If so, it's bad.
5. Reassemble with marked plate positioning

Will I need to have the wheel off the ground in order to correctly reposition the top plate in step 5?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Yes you will need to lift and support the car. If you undo the cc plate nuts where the bushing is with the car on the ground. It will go flying off with the pressure on it.

Your best bet is to loosen the strut nut, but do not remove it, lift the car and support it on a jack stand. Put a jack under the a arm. Apply a little pressure. Remove the strut nut. Lower the jack but not all the way. Undo the cc plate.

Just a thought, I would check the spacers on the strut under the cc plate, and make sure the cc plate is tight to the tower. The bushings are in there very tight and I doubt it is loose and moving.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
Thanks for the tips.

I left the top plate on and dropped the strut by lowering the control arm. I cannot move the cc bearing by hand, but can with a screwdriver for leverage. The movement on the bearing feels smooth and tight, so I'm guessing my problem is somewhere else.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I bolted everything together and it fixed the problem yesterday, but the noise came back worse today.

What is the best method to torque the strut nut? Should it be torqued on jack stands with a jack under the control arm, similar to the cc plate install?

01yellercobra

Established Member
To be honest I've never actually torqued the nut for the strut. I use an impact to snug it down. What struts are you running?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was thinking maybe the nut is worn out and not staying tight.

I've never had an issue using the impact.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I had the same issue with my MM CC Plates and the spherical bearing was the problem. Mine had just the slightest amount of play, up and down, when I removed the strut and tested. It caused loud clunking inside the car going over uneven or bumpy roads.

The shop that originally installed them, put the spacers on wrong (all beneath the bearing) and bottoming out the strut must have put undue stress on the bearing.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
I put an impact on it, and saw the spacers slightly rotate, so I believe the nut coming slightly loose was the problem. However, I'll wait a week or two before declaring victory. Hopefully the nut being loose didn't cause too much damage to the spherical bearing long term.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Always tighten the strut nut under the weight of the car not on jack stands. My Tokico say do not use an impact on them. I use a box wrench on the nut and another wrench to hold the strut on the flats when I tighten mine. I just snug them up and never had a problem.

CCS_56_EX

Established Member
Indeed, a quick google search on 'bilstein hd impact wrench' shows many posts saying to never use an impact on the struts. Should have taken the time to look that up.

Users who are viewing this thread