Install Tips 4 New Shifter ?

RobSVTCobra

Established Member
Hi Folks,
I'm new here.
I just sold my Z06 and wanted something a little less pricey, but maintain the IRS and +300hp...so here I am !
I'll post some pics soon (99 Black on Grey).

I'm installing a new shifter, but not sure how to get at it. I know its done from above, but what parts/how do I remove them ?

I'm mechanically inclined, so lemme have it !
:read:

Vinnie T

Established Member
Welcome!

Not sure what shifter you have, but I think I recall the Steeda coming with instructions.
It's really pretty straight forward though. Turn the shifter knob off. Pull upward and outward on the console piece that includes the shift boot and remove it from the handle. Be sure to unplug the TC and lighter plugs as you pull it loose. Take the 4 screws out that hold the shifter cover and remove the cover. Remove the shifter handle by removing the 2 retaining bolts. You will be down to the shifter at this point, which is held on by 4 bolts. Remove those, then you will need to pop the shifter loose which is sealed with silicone sealer. I got it loose by going underneath the car, putting a piece of wood on an exposed edge and hitting with a hammer. I sure others will have different ideas on that. Installing the new one is everything in reverse. The ball end of the shifter goes into the shift cup below it. Be sure to seal it back up with a bead of silicone. If it has adjustable stops, adjust it as describe in any instructions you may have once the shifter is in place. Good luck with it, but I doubt that you will run into any trouble.
Here's a link for a Pro-5 install instructions from Mustangworld.com that should be pretty universal:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/shift1.htm

Also, you might want to consider the shift handle that is put out by MGW. Nice, adjustable handle that is a work of art, like most of their pieces.

www.mgwltd.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread