installed accufab TB, car stalls from time to time

hurtindude

Banned
I installed the accufab big oval throttle body. On occation my car stalls now. Well it's only happened twice so far. My car only has 3100 miles and the idle motor was clean as a whistle.
It seems to happen when i am off the gas, clutch in and making a slow turn. I figure the power steering strain on the motor is causing the stall. Idle is at 500 RPM or so.

I would think the factory computer would "learn" and adjust to the mods, a.k.a. use the idle motor to give the engine a little more power to avoid he stall.

Running factory tune. Have accufab throttle body and K&N kit.

Any suggestions?

WOMACK03

Whipple Powered
Established Member
It is a tunning issue. It is lean out. Mine did it with the K&N only. After about a week and a 50 rpm idle boost, it worked great.

hurtindude

Banned
WOMACK03 said:
It is a tunning issue. It is lean out. Mine did it with the K&N only. After about a week and a 50 rpm idle boost, it worked great.

I have the K&N too. Maybe it's a combination of the two? I may just boost the idle just a tad. The paper that came with the throttle body said don't mess with it, it's set at the factory and adjustments should be made via the tps.

I don't see where the tps is adjustable though. It has 2 screws through it, but there isn't room there to rotate it at all. There appears to be an idle screw on the throttlebody itself, but i really would prefer to just not touch it.
Any other ideas?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You have to adjust the TPS. Loosen the two screws just a little bit and the TPS module will move just enough to fine tune it. Then when you get it to where you want it, .99, then tighten the screws up.

-Jeff

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
You have to adjust the TPS. Loosen the two screws just a little bit and the TPS module will move just enough to fine tune it. Then when you get it to where you want it, .99, then tighten the screws up.

-Jeff

Just like he said. I installed the same Accufab on my '03 and had to fuss with it a bit. My car never stalled, but the Accufab generated an idle sensor code... the dreaded light. Accufab suggested that I use a small file to open the holes in the TPS to provide more adjustment. I didn't and instead adjusted the idle speed screw (the one they told you not to touch). It worked and I have had no trouble for the past 20,000 miles.

IMO the Accufab Big Oval Throttle Body and Plenum makes a big difference, even on a "stock" motor with a CAI. Work it out. Don't take it off!! :beer:

fr03cobra

Established Member
gosh, there are alot of stalling and accufab issues on svtp. fixes:TPS needs to be 0.99volts, try replacing the return spring ,mess with the screws or do like I did and send it back to accufab , they fixed it for me.

hurtindude

Banned
thanks for the help. I have a copy of alldata on my computer, but they don't mention the voltage. Just remove/replace, unless i'm missing something, but i doubt it. I'll be sure to adjust it tomorrow. I just screwed it in.

hurtindude

Banned
Just an update. I set the TPS to .99 volts with the car off and the key on. It's sits at about 1.010 volts at idle, so i guess the alt spuinnin makin the voltage a little higher, but it's so close i didn't bother to readjust. car no longer stalls. Idle is real low though about 550 to 650 and not real stable.
guess i am gettin in touch w/ accufab
thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread