Installed BMR upper & DSS CF driveshaft

ExTurbo

Established Member
So in going back and forth between CF and aluminum for the driveshaft, I decided to go with the Carbon fiber from DSS. Since my upper control arm was still stock and Im lowered with relocation brackets, I decided to go with BMR's adjustable upper with the poly bushing to I can set the pinion angle correctly. I also ordered the mounting bracket since it came with the second hole, and looks a lot more substantial than the factory bracket.

Both parts came in about 24 hours after I ordered them from American muscle. Props to them for the quick shipping! I did not get a chance to weigh the driveshaft unfortunately but it was substantially lighter than the factory DS. With the pinion angle set correctly i had no vibrations up to about 100mph (so far :) i was worried as ive seen people post horror stories with having to send driveshafts back to have them rebalanced. Not the case, very impressed with the quality of the piece.

I am getting a creaking sound coming from the upper control arm over bumps, I was expecting more noise to be transferred but hopefully i can figure out a way to get that to a minimum. The UCA was packed with grease so im wondering if the grease just needs to work its way in all the way, and eventually quiet down? anyone have any experience with this? i had the tech put the UCA in the top hole (closest to the body) as i read it was designed for lowered cars with relo brackets.

I will say the car feels much more planted in just about every situation. I didn't have any wheel hop before the UCA so i cant say that helped, but i really cant describe how much more confident i feel going into corners...maybe its all in my head but it feels much better than before.

The Driveshaft does transmit a little more noise into the shifter, but it was already pretty loud as i have the barton with the 2 piece bracket installed. It feels much lighter in day to day driving. The car just goes with the slightest touch to the gas pedal, and pulls instantly. I wouldn't say night and day, but its certainly more fun around town and just rowing through the gears, passing in 6th gear also requires much less go pedal then before. Im anxious to get it to the track to see what kind of a difference it makes!

All in all i fell back in love with the car after this round of mods. I think the UCA is a must have on these cars, and getting rid of the heavy 2 piece driveshaft just makes the car more fun to drive. I cant speak for aluminum but either way id say its a must for anyone on the fence. Get a 1 piece!

BMR Tech

Awesome! Good to hear!

The noise from the UCA should go away. Give it some time, then re-grease it with a good synthetic lubrication like the Amsoil Polymeric.

I am glad to know you are happy with the newfound feel of the car! Enjoy!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Hp upgrades are not the only place to add muscle. you just found out suspension is another place, and its a great feeling when you hammer it and everything you've done comes together to create an exhilarating driving experience! My car as rock solid and the suspension is built for speed. the car is entirely transformed... Drive stock mustang and you really feel how much better your car is!

ExTurbo

Established Member
yea she was already lowered on ford racing stuff, which made a big difference, but the UCA is something im sorry i didn't do sooner! Very happy overall!

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
So in going back and forth between CF and aluminum for the driveshaft, I decided to go with the Carbon fiber from DSS. Since my upper control arm was still stock and Im lowered with relocation brackets, I decided to go with BMR's adjustable upper with the poly bushing to I can set the pinion angle correctly. I also ordered the mounting bracket since it came with the second hole, and looks a lot more substantial than the factory bracket.

Both parts came in about 24 hours after I ordered them from American muscle. Props to them for the quick shipping! I did not get a chance to weigh the driveshaft unfortunately but it was substantially lighter than the factory DS. With the pinion angle set correctly i had no vibrations up to about 100mph (so far :) i was worried as ive seen people post horror stories with having to send driveshafts back to have them rebalanced. Not the case, very impressed with the quality of the piece.

I am getting a creaking sound coming from the upper control arm over bumps, I was expecting more noise to be transferred but hopefully i can figure out a way to get that to a minimum. The UCA was packed with grease so im wondering if the grease just needs to work its way in all the way, and eventually quiet down? anyone have any experience with this? i had the tech put the UCA in the top hole (closest to the body) as i read it was designed for lowered cars with relo brackets.

I will say the car feels much more planted in just about every situation. I didn't have any wheel hop before the UCA so i cant say that helped, but i really cant describe how much more confident i feel going into corners...maybe its all in my head but it feels much better than before.

The Driveshaft does transmit a little more noise into the shifter, but it was already pretty loud as i have the barton with the 2 piece bracket installed. It feels much lighter in day to day driving. The car just goes with the slightest touch to the gas pedal, and pulls instantly. I wouldn't say night and day, but its certainly more fun around town and just rowing through the gears, passing in 6th gear also requires much less go pedal then before. Im anxious to get it to the track to see what kind of a difference it makes!

All in all i fell back in love with the car after this round of mods. I think the UCA is a must have on these cars, and getting rid of the heavy 2 piece driveshaft just makes the car more fun to drive. I cant speak for aluminum but either way id say its a must for anyone on the fence. Get a 1 piece!

Awesome! Good to hear!

The noise from the UCA should go away. Give it some time, then re-grease it with a good synthetic lubrication like the Amsoil Polymeric.

I am glad to know you are happy with the newfound feel of the car! Enjoy!

Hey EX - I'm happy to hear that we we're able to get your order delivered to your so fast! We're right outside Philadelphia so if you're ever in the area Monday - Friday stop on by! Regarding the UCA's I can see BMR beat me by a mile as usual and you're good to go!

Let me know if there's ever anything I can lend a hand with and if you don't have our forums discount code shoot me a PM and I'll get you set up!

Alex

jsip

So horsepower Many torque
Established Member
How much wiggle room did you have for your upper? I just installed this weekend and need to dial in the pinion. Its set at stock length but there's not much more room to twist the knuckle to give me negative against my stock 2pc shaft.

Curious since I barely have room to place loctite on the jam nuts to righten everything.

Lowered 1.5" in the rear and I do have the UCA in the upper hole of the BMR mount.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

How much wiggle room did you have for your upper? I just installed this weekend and need to dial in the pinion. Its set at stock length but there's not much more room to twist the knuckle to give me negative against my stock 2pc shaft.

Curious since I barely have room to place loctite on the jam nuts to righten everything.

Lowered 1.5" in the rear and I do have the UCA in the upper hole of the BMR mount.

Pretty sure the email from you, is the one I was just replying to. So, I would like to post my reply here.

What matters is the relation of the angles when comparing the engine to the pinion flange. I know it says to compare the rear of the 2-pc on our instructions, but that is not what I personally recommend.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TbwRZqEtxQ&list=UUuR8FA202bXZ9I0Yqe1HSVA

We build a little more extension into the UCA, than we do shortening.

Typically, on a level drive on lift, the pinion for a 2-pc DS car should be approximately 0 to +.5

My recommendation is that you stay in the +1 to -1 range, as those are definitely acceptable with a 2-pc DS.

Also, using jackstands does not load the suspension all the way / properly, so I recommend using a drive on lift, or ramps on a level surface.

jsip

Established Member
Pretty sure the email from you, is the one I was just replying to. So, I would like to post my reply here.

What matters is the relation of the angles when comparing the engine to the pinion flange. I know it says to compare the rear of the 2-pc on our instructions, but that is not what I personally recommend.

Here is a video:

Typically, on a level drive on lift, the pinion for a 2-pc DS car should be approximately 0 to +.5

My recommendation is that you stay in the +1 to -1 range, as those are definitely acceptable with a 2-pc DS.

Also, using jackstands does not load the suspension all the way / properly, so I recommend using a drive on lift, or ramps on a level surface.

Getting it up on a drive up now. I should be good to go with those instructions. I appreciate the help!

jsip

Established Member
Dialed in to -1.4

I do notice increased whine from the rear both before and after but I do have your Upper with mount, lowers, relo brackets and panhard in. All poly but NVH is increased just a tad. Not complaining, everything feels good now.

BMR Tech

Awesome! Good to hear.

And yes, when upgrading the control arms with poly, you will definitely get increased NVH, specifically increased noise being amplified from the road and driveline.

Enjoy!

Famine

Established Member

Thanks for the review.

Here is a video:

Thanks for the link and info.

Users who are viewing this thread